thirty three

ੈ✩‧₊˚  WHEN THE NIGHT WAS FULL OF TERROR
AND YOUR EYES WERE FILLED WITH TEARS
WHEN YOU HAD NOT TOUCHED ME YET
OH! TAKE ME BACK TO THE NIGHT WE MET
lord huron

ADI BLUE let out a shaky breath as she stepped outside, immediately cursing as rain droplets began to cover her, the storm rolling in.

"Real fucking nice." Adi groaned, stepping further as she hobbled down the granite stairs, tucking her dampening hair behind her ears.

"Did you really have to cause a scene?" A voice behind her spat, footsteps echoing as they hurried down the steps.

She turned, flickering her big eyes between his. "Don't act like I started it, Luke. Did you really have to make that comment?"

"I'm not the one who kissed him!" Luke argued, his chest beginning to heave. "Why, Adi? Why'd you do it?"

"I was drunk." Adi crossed her arms, chilling adorning her skin. "It was mistake. He knows it, I know it, you don't. We crossed a line, okay?"

Luke drug his tongue along the inside of his cheek. "You shouldn't have. I mean, I...I spent weeks debating on whether to reach out. The night you called me, was it after?"

"Yes." Adi admitted, swallowing harshly. "I regret ever kissing him but I don't regret reaching out."

"I just can't believe you did this." Luke shook his head, furrowing his brows.

Adi could feel the rain harden, neither of them flinching at the sound of thunder. "Do you want me to sit here and start groveling? 'Cause we both know I won't."

Luke eyes flickered between hers. "I don't know you anymore."

"You left me." Adi chuckled softly. "I knew this was a mistake."

"What was a mistake?" Luke watched the mascara of her own building tears blend in with the rain droplets. "Huh?"

Adi tugged on the ends of her dress, attempting to stop her hands from shaking aggressively. "You." She paused. "Ever starting anything with you. I take back everything."

Luke faltered, the angry expression turning with sadness. "You don't mean that, Ads."

"I do." Adi scrunched her nose, shrugging slightly. "It's Adi, too. I knew you'd be immature about us. God, you couldn't even handle distance! We both would've been better off as friends."

Luke shifted his feet, her words hitting him like a ton of bricks. "You're full of shit."

Adi stepped closer to him. "I am. I lied. I don't regret kissing him. I don't care."

"I hate you." Luke muttered, loud enough for her to hear. "I really fucking do."

"Good." Adi blinked, expressionless.

Luke shook his head, turning his head to stare at the trees behind her. Adi clicked her tongue, "Go be with Carson. She's the one that wants you. I don't, I never even should've."

His eyes finally snapped to hers, watching as she shivered from the bitterness of the weather. Even with anger, disbelief, and heartbreak making him run circles in his own head, he loved her.

He shrugged off his suit jacket, placing it against her chest as she didn't fight. She reached for his hand, the hopeful look in his eye dying as she placed the necklace in his hand.

"Infinity, huh?" Adi finally cracked, the front she had put on came crumbling down as she shoved her hands into his suit jacket. "You cursed us, Luke. Infinity my fucking ass."

She turned away from him, tightening the jacket around her body as she began to jog at a fast pace, feeling her ankles ache from the heels tight around them.

Adi stopped as she reached the back of the country club, leaning against the wall as she held a hand over her mouth, sobbing into her palm.

She placed her hands in the pockets, her right knuckles digging into a harsh material. She wriggled her hand from the deep pockets, her heart thumping.

The horseshoe blinged from the lamp above her, her thumb coming to run over it as her lip quivered, she placed it back in the pocket, not being able to look at it.

Luke, on the other hand, hurried back up the steps, not caring that he had been soaked. The necklace dangling from his back pocket.

"Jesus." Ellen stared at her son wide-eyed. "Honey..."

His eyes were red, growing puffy as he gritted his teeth. Luke was never a crier, even when getting beat up and teased by his brothers, never. But Adi Blue was his weakness.

"Faye. Is there any way I can take your car? I'm not feeling well." Luke blew his mother off, his jaw tight. "Please. My parents will gladly take you home."

"I...sure." Faye fumbled with her purse. "Where's Adi?"

Luke swallowed harshly. "I'll take her home. Don't worry about it. Sorry, Carson."

He rushed out of the ballroom, grabbing his chin so harshly it began to grow red as he threw the car door open, planting his fist against the wheel.

His feet and hands were quick to reverse him out of the spot, the brake squealing as he stepped on it harshly, his eyes making out her silhouette.

She lifted her head, staring at her mother's car. Adi climbed in, staying completely silent as she released who the driven had been.

The car ride was silent, the patter of the rain being the only noise as Adi stayed in the backseat, her sniffles made him clench the wheel tighter.

When they had arrived back at the house, Luke shut the car off, leaving the keys on the drivers seat as he hopped out, shutting the door with a great amount of force that the car shook. Adi with it.

She didn't want to move, she was spinning. He said he hated her but yet he cared enough to not leave her in the rain? She couldn't breathe.

Adi forced herself out of the car, grabbing the keys.

i'm gonna need a few business days to process this.