twelve

ੈ✩‧₊˚ IF YOU KISS ME, WILL IT BE JUST LIKE I DREAMED IT?
taylor swift

THE AUGUST day that the Hughes parents and Faye, dreaded. Move in day for the University of Michigan. Luke was the last to leave out of his two brothers, Adi an only child, all parents equally taking it hard.

Adi hadn't spoken to Luke in a week, he had avoided her at all costs. Even missing boat days due to a mysterious illness. She hated herself for it.

She dried her hands on the back pockets of her jean shorts as she stepped into the doorway of Luke's room. She glanced around, the room half empty with boxes scattered around, Luke's back facing her as he went through his draws.

Adi lifted her hand to knock on the frame of the doorway, attempting to capture the boys attention.

It worked, he turned over his shoulder, their eyes locking as he shot her a closed-lip smile, returning back to emptying his draws.

"Luke. Can I come in?" Adi tucked her hair behind her ears, feeling as if she was walking on egg shells.

Luke shrugged. "Sure, I don't care."

Adi made her way over to his mattress, sighing lowly. "Can we talk?"

"About?" Luke chuckled softly, closing his draw in annoyance as his dresser shook. "I don't think there's anything we need to talk about."

"You're been ignoring me." Adi blinked, furrowing her brows.

Luke ripped off a piece of tape with his teeth, pursuing his lips as he sealed the final box. "Have I? I've been sick."

"You're lying." Adi rolled her eyes, shifting on his bed. "You only seem to be sick when I'm around. I know you've been hanging out with the guys."

"Maybe you're just contagious." Luke responded flatly.

Adi rubbed her hands over her face, her patience thinning. "Yeah. Sorry, I shouldn't have even come here."

She stood with embarrassment, halting halfway towards the door as he stopped her.

"Wait, Adi." Luke gave in. "I'm sorry. I'm being a dick. It's just...on the dock I felt so rejected."

Adi shook her head. "I was stupid. I'm just scared...I don't want to lose you."

"You never will." Luke promised. "I'm always going to be here. With you, for you, anything. Adi, I want nothing in this world than to be with you."

Adi nibbled into her bottom lip, walking around the box to face him. "You mean that?"

"Cross my heart." Luke held a hand to his heart, the two laughing slightly. "It's me and you, Ads. It always has been. I love you...I'm so in love with it drives me..."

"Shut up." Adi hummed suddenly, causing his lips to snap shut instantly.

Adi took a step closer to him, holding his chin in her hand as she smashed her lips into his, his hands finding her hips and the back of her neck, holding her upright.

The kiss was the opposite of rushed and needy. He deepened it, the slow and passionate rhythm had her arching her back to make their chests meet.

She pulled away, panting as she blinked up at him. A grin was spread across his lips as he brushed her hair from her face.

"We good?" Adi asked, the two still holding one another.

He nodded. "I think after that we definitely are."

He leaned down once more, pecking her lips as never ending smiles were plastered on their lips.

"All done? Oh, my..." Ellen's voice had them jumping apart, watching as the woman shut her eyes with a hand covering them.

Adi grew beat red at the sight of her mother figure as he looked towards Luke with a panic.

"Mom, I'm sorry." Luke cringed, shaking his head as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Uh, yeah. I'm all done."

Ellen opened her eyes slowly, looking between the pair. "It's about time." The three chuckled as Ellen called for her husband, boxes being moved from the boys room.

Quinn's car was packed to the max with Luke and Adis belongings, the eldest of the Hughes brothers slowly starting to regret his offer of driving the two.

"You sure Helena doesn't want a ride?" Quinn asked, closing his trunk.

"Positive." Adi hummed with a small nod. "Her mom wants to drive her and plus, she's packed everything she owns. They have to take her dad's pick up."

Quinn scoffed with a laugh.

"You promise to call every day?" Faye approached her daughter, cupping her burned cheeks with tears in her eyes.

"Yes, momma." Adi scrunched her nose. "Maybe two times a day."

Faye sniffled, hugging the girl tightly. "Make me proud, Adi Blue. And don't black out, okay?"

"Mom!" Adi shot her a wide eyed stare. "Let's have some filter here, yeah?"

Ellen pushed her bottom lip out, ruffling her youngests hair. "You're still the baby, Luke. You always will be."

"Mom." Luke groaned. "I'm literally eighteen and going off to college."

"I don't care." Ellen shook her head. "We're so proud of you, honey. We'll be at every single game."

Luke smiled softly. "I know you will be. Well, not if Quinn has a game. He is the favorite."

"Damn right!" Quinn chimed in, hitting his brother in the back of the head as Luke whined, rubbing the aching spot.

Ellen rolled her eyes, running her hands over Luke's biceps. "Be good. And, take care of her. You two need each other."

Luke glanced towards Adi, watching her bid her goodbyes to her mother. "I will. You know I will."

And with that, the Hughes brothers and Adi climbed into the car. Luke and Adi smushed together as they waved to their parents, a sappy moment that Adi will remember. A moment that will replay in her mind in months and wonder how she could time travel back to that moment.