twenty

‧₊˚ BUT YOU HAD TO GO
I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW
phoebe bridgers

ADI'S KNUCKLES lifted to softly knock of the closed door of Luke's room. He hummed softly as she came in, shutting it softly.

She blew out a breath as she joined him on his bed, her eyes scanning his room, stopping at the picture frame on his desk.

Eleven years old, sitting on the docks with their knees to their chests, Adis head leaning on his shoulder.

She wasn't just losing her boyfriend, she was losing her
best friend, neighbor, the boy she'd loved since the day he helped her off the street, everything.

For once, Luke didn't have anything to say as his fingers rubbed his chin, something he had grown a habit with when he was nervous.

"So, this is it, huh?" Adi chuckled, swallowing.

"Yeah." Luke furrowed his brows, cocking his head up to look at her. "You know, Ads...I don't want to drag you down when I go."

Adi pulled her face together with confusion, her knees touching his leg as she faced him. "How would you drag me down?"

"I've just been thinking about this a lot." Luke admitted, breaking eye contact. "You're so worked up about this and I don't want to make it worse, Adi."

"Just say it." Adi cut him off, feeling her throat begin to scratch as she clasped her hands together in her lap, the slight shaking of them evident.

Luke's head was hanging low, his bottom lip quivered as the words were caught. "I'm sorry, Adi."

Adi could feel her nostrils flare, mad at no one but herself. "I wish I could say I saw this coming but you've been promising me for weeks that it wouldn't."

Luke gulped, blinking as the guilt was eating him alive like acid. "I know, Adi. Because I did, I wanted too. I just...I know how busy I'll be and you..."

"You're going to have a new life." Adi cut him off once more with a shrug. "Don't try and sugar coat it, Luke."

"Yeah." Luke said flatly, his head turning quickly at the squeak of his bed.

Adi stood, her heart beating so fast it was beginning to ring through her ears. "I should really get going. You probably still have to pack...and well, I don't have a reason to be here."

"That's not true." Luke was quick to shake his head.

"But it is." Adi clicked her tongue, looking up at his ceiling in an attempt to stop her tears from pouring out.

The stars were still there, from the day they put them on six years ago. Because, even if Adi and Luke were over, they lingered. Everywhere.

"We're still...friends." Luke pursued his lips, trying to believe himself.

Adi sighed, finally snapping her big eyes down to lock with his. "Not anymore. You're nothing but a stranger to me, Luke."

Luke's face was expressionless. "It's probably better that way."

"No, it's for the better. We both know it's for the better." Adi croaked, her hands reaching to unclamp the necklace around her neck. He stopped her.

"I don't want it back. Do whatever you want with it, just please, I can't look at it." Luke admitted with his palm facing her.

She stopped, her hands falling to her side as they stood in front of his bedroom door. The longer she stared at him, the more the sadness begin to twist into anger.

How could he? Adi felt a tear roll down her cheek, Luke's eyes just following it. His nature of wiping it, seemed to vanish as he stood frozen.

"Enjoy it, Luke." Adi reached for the door handle before stopping, turning to look at him once more. "Don't come crying to me when your big dreams fall apart. 'Cause I promise I won't be there."

And with that she left, he didn't run after her or beg her to stay. He slammed his door shut, the rattle would of made her jump if she wasn't gunning for the front door, hurrying past the members of the Hughes family with tears pouring from her eyes at a rapid pace.

Adi panted, holding a hand to her heart until she reached her porch. She opened her front door, shutting it as she ran up her steps, ignoring her mother's questions.

She went limp as she hit her bed, closing her eyes tightly as the pillow beneath her grew damp.

The sound of her door creaking open didn't make her flinch as her mother's scent filled her nose. The bed dipped as the blonde woman moved her daughter's hair from her face.

"Did he..." Faye trailed off.

Adi simply nodded, only making her sob more as Faye frowned at the state of her daughter.

She climbed over Adi, coming to lay behind her as she rubbed her arm. "It's going to be okay, Adi Blue."

"No it's not." Adi shook her head. "I hate him. I want him to hate me too."

"He won't. Neither do you." Faye cooed. "It's the hardest thing ever when you have to give up on someone because they've given up on you."

Adi let her mother's words sink in, her eyes still shut.

"Sleep tight, Blue. In a few days, weeks, maybe months, he won't be the first thing you think of." Faye kissed her temple before leaving her to herself.

Adi finally opened her eyes, hoping to wake up back in her dorm and this day had just started. But that wasn't possible, even if time machines did exist; he'd always find a way to leave her, in this universe and the next. If she could've loved him better she would, but she could not love him more.

She stared straight ahead through her open curtains, even through the blurriness of her tears, she could see his room.

The lamp on his desk was switched on and his silhouette was hunched over, his head in his hands.

The same light that she had gifted him when he told her he was terrified of the dark. After all these years he kept it, even after getting over his fear.

crying in the freaking club.
so sorry for this 🤗🤗
thank u for 14k <3