twenty nine

ੈ✩‧₊˚ AND I CAN ANYWHERE I WANT, ANYWHERE I WANT, JUST NOT HOME
taylor swift

"WHAT ARE you writing about?" Faye hummed, glancing at her daughter as she watched her write intently.

Adi shrugged, closing her journal with the pen inside before slipping it into her bag. "Just my thoughts."

Faye nodded, tapping her fingers along the steering wheel. "How was your first year of college?"

Adi bit into her bottom lip, shifting. "The beginning and middle was great. Not sure about the end though."

"Right." Faye pursued her lips. "I'm glad it was great."

"When do the Hughes's come home?" Adi asked, keeping her eyes locked on the views outside the window.

Faye could sense the tension. "A week and a half. Quinn a bit earlier. Speaking of, we have to go to that dinner at the country club."

Adi fought the urge to roll her eyes as she hummed. "Right. I forgot about that. Do you know who's going?"

"As far as I know, Luke isn't." Faye chuckled, knowing the deeper meaning to the blondes question. "I believe just Ellen and Jim."

Adi felt the weight lift off her shoulders as she nodded, the car pulling in her driveway as she exited. She paused, staring at the house next door to her.

She was there, younger versions of her running around the front yard, Luke with her. The entirety of being home made Adi sick.

"Let's just get through summer, yeah?" Her mother grabbed her shoulder, taking her out of her daze.

Adi nodded, the two carrying her bags inside as she got settled in. She walked down to her kitchen, out her back door and suddenly it was winter time.

She was seventeen years old, sitting on her back porch in the inches of snow, feeling like a little kid. It was prime winter which meant the Hughes brothers were playing hockey, leaving both her and Luke.

She glanced up at the sound of door, smiling largely as Luke began to walk over, struggling from the depth of the snow.

"They weren't joking about a snow storm, huh?" Luke whistled, plopping himself down as they chuckled.

Adi leaned closer to fix his beanie, dusting the snow off of it. Luke looked around, smile creeping on his lips. "Were you making snow angels, Ads?"

She patted her lips with a shy chuckle, shrugging. "Maybe. Cmon, they're so fun don't lie."

Luke pushed her head gently before leaning back and flapping his arms and legs, the girl doing the same. "Now those are snow angels."

"They're beautiful." Adi swooned, glancing at the boy, brows furrowing as he stared at her.

He lifted his hand, using his thumb to move the snowflake from her cheek before it turned to liquid, her skin heated up from his touch.

"Do you want hot chocolate?" Adi asked suddenly, making him nod rapidly as they helped one another up, hurrying into the household.

Luke moved to hop onto the counter, watching her grab the mix as she poured hot milk into their mugs. "Can you put extra marshmallows into mine?"

Adi stifled a laugh. "You're like a baby, Luke."

She handed him his cup, using her free hand to help him off the counter, leading him into the living room.

Luke watched her shiver, he shrugged off his sweatshirt, holding it out for her.

"Oh." Adi glanced at the cotten. "Lukey, I can grab a blanket."

"Just take it." He insisted, watching as she placed it over head, sliding her arms into it. It swallowed her and it made his stomach turn.

He grabbed a large blanket, draping it over the two as they stared up at the big screen, an old comedy playing.

She hoped it was loud enough so he couldn't hear how embarrassingly fast her heart was beating every time he laughed or leaning closer to her.

But he heard it because he was beating at the same pace.

"Adi." Her mother's voice had her blinking, turning her head as she moved away from the door.

"Yeah, mom?" Adi asked, rubbing her eyes. "What's up?"

Ellen poked her head around the corner along with Faye, a large grin on the blonde woman's lips as she embraced the girl.

Adi hugged her tightly before pulling away. "Hi. It's so good to see you."

"Likewise." Ellen reciprocated with a small nod. "I wanted to come see you as soon as you got here before the hassle of my sons come home."

Adi forced a laugh. "No, yeah. They're definitely a hassle."

"Right. You know, Adi, you're always welcome over this summer. Especially on the boat rides." Ellen offered with a stern look on her face. "You know that right?"

Adi nodded, knowing she wouldn't take up the offer no matter what. "No, of course. Thank you."

Ellen squeezed her hand before striking up a conversation with Faye, leaving Adi to stalk over to the couch with a small groan.

i love flashbacks if u can't tell