Chapter 5: To Catch a Crook

Third Person POV

Batman scoured the city from above. He and Commissioner Gordon had talked earlier (well Bruce Wayne and Commissioner Gordon had talked) and Gordon had spoken of Zucco skipping town soon. Apparently, 'The Batman' had Zucco spooked and he was fixing to leave town tonight.

Luckily, Gordon had let it slip that Zucco had been spotted on the lower East side of Gotham, thus helping Batman in his search for the murderer. He had been checking abandoned buildings all night, but he still had found no sign of Tony Zucco.

He frowned, his eyebrows knitting together under his cowl. If he had to, Batman would spend the rest of the night searching for Zucco. He wasn't going to get away.

I AM THE ALL MIGHTY BATMAN LINE BREAK! I AM THE NIGHT! FEAR ME!

Danny was in his room, putting on a warm jacket when Dick walked in. Danny whipped around and locked eyes with his brother. "What are you doing?" Dick asked.

Danny finished putting on his jacket, "I'm going after Zucco," he replied.

Dick's eyes widened and he walked over to his brother, "Are you crazy?! What makes you think you'll even find him. And say that you do find him, what will you do then?"

"I'll make him pay," Danny said coldly as he walked towards the window.

Dick sighed, "There's no talking you out of this is there?" Danny shook his head as he opened the window. Dick walked over to the closet and pulled out his jacket, quickly putting it on.

He walked over to the window, "Well then, you're not taking Zucco down alone," Dick stated as he helped Danny open the window. Danny smiled at his brother, but his smile quickly faded when he looked down.

The ground suddenly became very far away and Danny began to have trouble breathing. A sickening crack sounded in his ears and screams rang in his head. Dick placed a hand on his brother's shoulder, "You're not going to fall Danny. You've done this sort of thing with your eyes closed. If you don't feel good we don't have to-"

Danny frowned in concentration and pushed away his fear, "No, we're going." He climbed out the window. Taking a deep breath, he let go of the sill and dropped down. Danny's arms extended and he grabbed onto a nearby tree branch. He swung on the branch and landed safely on his feet.

His heart was pounding as Dick joined him on the ground by doing a similar trick. Danny took a few deep breaths and the two brothers began running away from the manor. "So where are we going?" Dick asked.

Danny's eyes narrowed as he remembered Bruce's and Gordon's conversation he had 'accidentally' overheard. "Lower East side of Gotham," Danny replied as the two headed to a nearby bus stop.

FEAR THE ALL MIGHTY LINE BREAK! NOW CONTINUE READING!

The bus halted and the two brothers got off the bus. "You boys sure you want to get off here?" the driver asked.

"Yeah," Danny replied as he pulled out a folded picture from his jacket. "You ever pick up this man?" he asked the driver as he held up a cut out photo of a man with short black hair, narrowed eyes and a sneer on his face. A picture of Tony Zucco.

The man looked at the picture, "Can't say I have. He you boy's pop or somethin'?"

Danny folded the picture and placed it back in his pocket as Dick replied, "Yeah, somethin'"

The brothers walked off and the bus pulled away. The boys walked around the area showing the picture to anyone they could find, asking if they had seen the man in the picture. They all said no.