Chapter 35: Two Different Times

Twenty years is a long time. So much can happen, so much can change. Yet you remain the same? How is that so?

I never stopped thinking about you, you know. As each year, each month, each day passed. As every hour, every minute, every second ticked by... you were the one thing on my mind. The one thing that I could hold onto using the last bit of my sanity. And even though now, that we are once again together...

Why do you still reject me?

Why do you continue to hate me?

Everything that I did... it was all for you.

So that we could finally be together, as we always should have been.

Just give up little Phantom.

Give up, and surrender yourself to my madness. 

************************************************

Third Person POV

Danny felt his blood run cold as those familiar words were whispered into his ear. His core pounded with fear as the figure drew back his head to stare Danny in the eyes.

Vlad was hardly the same man Danny remembered. His blood red eyes now had small streaks of green in them, his pale blue skin was now a deeper shade of blue, and his fangs seemed to be even longer, whiter and animalistic. His black hair was no longer pointed upwards like horns, but instead fell down past his shoulders in a tangled, oily, matted mess. The black cloak he wore was burned and torn. Beneath it, the tattered remains of a purple uniform could be seen. One last detail about this 'new' Vlad was the broken green shackle on Vlad's left wrist.

Danny stared up in fear at the man he had all but completely forgotten about. "H-How?" Danny managed to squeak out. "How are you still here?"

Vlad looked at Danny in surprise, as if he hadn't been expecting the boy to speak. The surprised look quickly faded as Vlad bared his fangs and chuckled. "You really haven't changed." He whispered. "You're still a child. It doesn't make sense, but I suppose when it comes to matters regarding us, nothing ever makes sense."

The Titans continued to stare at their captured teammate, all trying to think of a way to rescue him. Robin stared daggers at the man holding the white haired teen, desperately trying to think of a plan that would save Danny without causing the halfa any harm.

"Keep an eye on Danny." Bruce's voice echoed in Robin's head. His memory immediately flashed back to his conversation with the Dark Knight a few days ago.

"Why?" Robin remembered replying. He wasn't in the best mood that day to deal with Bruce's scolding but that day his old mentor had been oddly calm. As if something was really troubling him.

The acrobatic hero remembered the uncertain look on Batman's face as the vigilante answered, "Back in Amity Park, after we left Danny's house for the first time, I felt like someone was watching us. Or, to be more accurate, watching Danny. That feeling has yet to go away."

Robin sighed and closed his eyes as he muttered sarcastically, "And we all know your instincts are never wrong."

"That is correct." Batman replied, no hint of humour in his voice.

Back in the present, Robin grumbled to himself. He should have taken Batman's advice more seriously, especially since it was Danny they were talking about. But the two of them had just been getting more and more hostile towards each other Robin despised the idea of doing anything his old mentor asked - or more like told - him to do.