Chapter 15: Returning Memories

Third Person POV

The funny thing about losing your memories, is that you always feel like you're missing a part of yourself. You keep on going, moving forward with your life, but you still linger on the things you can't remember. It's a horrible feeling, forgetting your past. You forget your family, your friends, memories of those you cared about. You grasp at every straw you can to pull your memories back to you. But it's never enough. And you never find peace in just forgetting.

There's always that little lingering voice, whispering to you, but you can never quite make out the words. It whispers your name, your past, your memories, but never loud enough so you can clearly hear it. It taunts you, and you just want to either make it speak up, or snuff it out.

Everyone is a puzzle, and there are some who are missing their pieces. 

hi. littlest line break here. just wanted to say hi. oops, i already did that. oh well, enjoy the chapter! ^-^

Darkness. Suffocating darkness all around him. There was no light, he couldn't even see his own hands in front of his face. He wondered where he was. He couldn't remember anything, why couldn't he remember anything?! His breathing came in short and quick and he felt himself grow light headed. "Danny." A voice whispered in his ear. The boy turned in a circle, looking for the source of the voice that whispered that name. Was that his name? Was he Danny?

"Boys! It's almost showtime! Hurry up and get into costume." Danny turned around to the sound of a female voice. He squinted, searching the darkness for the person who called out, but he saw nothing but shadows. There was a small glimmer of light in the distance, and the boy could see a wispy figure standing in front of it, waving at him.  

"Okay mom!" Another voice returned, this time directly beside him. Danny whirled around to see another shadow standing beside him. Danny backed away from it as it turned to him, revealing a white smile and blue eyes. "Race you there!" It shouted, running away from him. Danny watched it leave, feeling as if he knew who that shadow was.

Just then, Danny felt a foot connect with his back and he was knocked to the ground. He cracked his head on the floor and white spots filled his vision. "Stay focused. You can never let your guard down." He heard a gruff voice say behind him. 

"Hey, let up a bit. We're just beginners remember?" Danny fought off the white spots and turned onto his back to see two shadows towering over him. The smaller shadow, that Danny could have sworn was the one that had run away from him earlier, extended his hand to Danny. "C'mon Danny, let's show him what the Gray-" The shadows voice was abruptly cut off before it resumed. "-brothers can really do." 

Danny's eyes widened. "Brothers?" He whispered as he reached for the extended hand. Just as his fingers brushed against the shadow's, Danny soon felt himself falling. His heart clenched with fear as he heard the screams of thousands around him. He heard a sickening crack and the bleak world of darkness around him quickly turned into a sea of red. And he was drowning in it. Danny struggled to keep above the water, but the waves grew stronger. Each one forced him down lower into the depths. Eventually, he stopped fighting against the waves and let himself be swallowed by the red water, taking a deep breath before his head disappeared below the surface.

"Don't look down." A childish voice in his head taunted, the voice almost singing it's words. "Down is a bad, bad place. You won't like it." But Danny didn't listen, and he looked down, though he immediately regretted doing so. When he saw the twisted and bloody bodies of man and woman in bright costumes, he nearly vomited on the spot. His mouth opened and the red water around him filled his lungs. "I told you so. I told you so." The voice mocked, repeating the words over and over. The words echoed around Danny and he felt himself sink deeper into the depths of the blood red sea, it's murky waters filling his lungs with poison.