🌊 pt. 1

Luke sat down, bored out of his 7-year-old mind as his father tosses the nets in the water. "Daaaaaaaaaaad," Luke whines, huffing and pouting with big blue, eyes. "I'm bored."

"C'mon this is like," his father paused for effect. "Father-son bonding." Luke groaned once again, his pudgy hand still gripping the rope.

They sit in the boat for a while longer as the boat sways from side to side. Luke could feel his tired eyes starting to shut since he woke up at 5 to have this father-son bonding when suddenly, he feels a slight tug on his rope.

Luke's eyes light up as he calls his dad over. He pulls, slightly disappointed at how light it was. His dad, however, only grins. "Keep pulling!"

So Luke did.

But, he wasn't expecting anything like this. A tiny, baby merboy struggling in the ropes, a little cut in his fin. He didn't look much older than Luke, maybe 9 or 8 years old.

Luke's dad's eyes widen, trying to pull Luke away from the sobbing creature. "Luke," he warns with a low voice, reaching for a knife. "Put the merman down."

Luke gasps, seeing what his daddy was grabbing as he cradles the wet creature to his chest. "Daddy, no! He's only a baby, he won't hurt anyone!"

Mercreatures were dangerous, cold-blooded creatures who ate humans as their main meal. The looked like human other than the fact they were huge, 75-300 feet tall and had long, scaly tails from their waist down. And not to metion, their sharp teeth.

Luke learned about them in school. They could grow up to 300 feet and eat whales for snacks but their main source of food were humans. Luke could tell the little merboy was a runt since he could fit in the palm of Luke's hand. Usually, mermaid children were about a few feet tall and they would feed on the runt of the pack, but it seems like this little guy had escaped.

"Daddy, please," Luke begs with teary eyes. "He's only a runt, he can't hurt us."

"What about when he's older, Luke?!" His dad exclaims loudly making Luke and the small creature flinch. "He could kill people, eat people!"

"But he can't now, it's nature Daddy!" Luke retorts, letting the merboy shake against his life jacket. "His momma's not here, he's all alone."

His father hesitates, letting out a long exhale and shaking his head at Luke with a tired and defeated smile. "You're too pure for your own good, Luke."

Luke grins as his father carefully handed the knife to him. "Don't hurt yourself, okay?" Luke nods wordlessly, turning his attention back to the runt.

Terrified brown eyes peer up at him as Luke coos softly in an effort to calm him down the way his momma does when Luke has a bad dream.

"Shh, shh, it's okay. You're safe, I'm not gonna hurt you," the creature winces, his wet brown hair falling into his face as he struggles in the ropes.

Something slices, but it's not the merboy.

Luke carefully cut the net, careful of his itty, bitty limbs and tail. He carefully unravels the rope from him, freeing him. Luke can feel his little heart beating wildly against his fingers as the curl around him, setting him in place.

Luke inspects the creature's beautiful tail, gently running his fingers over the soft and fragile scales that match the color of the ocean. Luke gets shivers, feeling every single one.

His curious fingers then trail down to his fin, gasping at the small hole in his left one. "You poor thing," Luke pities breathless, grabbing the first aid kit and placing the knife back on the table.

Luke tilts his head, confused as the little merboy struggles fruitlessly against his finger, tiny hands pushing against his fingers and tail flapping wildly in an attempt to escape his clutches.

Luke gently strokes his wet brown hair, quickly pulling away when the creature flinches, trembling with tear stained cheeks. Luke tries again, repetitively and gently until the small creature calms down.

"Daddy, can you help me?" Luke asks softly, not wanting to startle the poor thing. His dad comes over with a confused expression until Luke points at the merboy's injury. His dad awkwardly scratches the back of his neck.

"But-But you saved the fish, pl-please daddy? Please try," Luke starts to cry and his father instantly caves in.

After some cooing, cradling and crying, the merboy is all stitched up, still staring up with a fearful expression. Luke smiles softly, gently nuzzling the creature's hair with his nose.

"Do you have a name?" Luke asks innocently, pulling away and tilting his head. The merboy hesitates but copies the action. Luke giggles, shaking his head. "Name? Do you have a name?"

The merboy blinks.

"Luke," Luke points to himself. Then repeats. "Luke."

The merboy has confusion painted on his face as he points to himself. "L-Luke?"

His voice is barely above a whisper and choppy but Luke grins anyways. "I'm Luke, silly," he teases. "Hmm, you're now, Jackson!"

Jackson tilts his head to the side. "J-J-Jackson?" Luke nods with a happy expression.

"Bye, Jackson," Luke says sadly as his father gives him a face that says; we're leaving, hurry up.

Jackson whimpers as Luke sets him in the water, clinging onto Luke's fingers. "L-Luke," he looks up with those sad, brown eyes. Luke heart sinks as he gently runs a thumb over his brown, fluffy hair.

"It's okay, Jackson. I'll see you again someday. Stay safe." And with that, Luke's dad starts the boat and slowly drives away.

~~~

More works by UGHlashton also if you want any of your stories feel free to email me: stalememes102@gmail.com 😄