🗡

Liam quivered, holding onto his sword tightly. His knuckles were starting to turn white but he didn't care. It was so dark and he could feel tears brimming in his eyes.

Oh god, oh please god.

His knees were giving up on him as a soft hiss filled the cave followed by a slithering sound. The ground shook as if trembling at the creature's power. This rock wouldn't hide him for long. He wasn't a hero, he was just a kid.

After the king sent his two step brothers to fight and slay the beast that had been feeding on the sheep for the last two years, his father turned to him to save the family name. His stepmother didn't care if he lived or died, sending him into battle with only a sword much too big for him.

"Little human," The snake hummed. "There's no point of hiding, I can smell your fear."

His teen arms could barely hold onto the heavy weapon for any longer as it fell to the rock ground with a clank. Liam gasped, once again grabbing the weapon. He backed up, his hazel eyes desperately scanning the cave for any sign of the beast.

He yelped loudly, running into something lean and scaley.

Please, oh please.

He screamed as the tail of the beast slithered around him, dropping the weapon he had been holding, the only way he could fight back. He trembled.

Hot and somewhat smelly breath washed over his trembling body as he screwed his eyes tight, not wanting to see death in front of him.

He bit back a scream as he felt a slimy tongue slide over his body and opened his eyes.

And the beast was staring right back at him.

It didn't really look like a monster other than his snake tail from his hip down. The monster- who he deemed was a boy, probably only 2 years older than he was - frowned in confusion.

"Y-You're a prince, the brother of the others who tried to slay me?" The monster said, slightly flabbergasted.

Liam only whimpered in response. The beast leaned in closer making Liam's breath hitch as his nose grazed his skin. "But you smell," he sniffed. "Innocent."

Liam didn't say anything. The beast sighed, uncurling his tail from around the prince's trembling body. Liam fell to the floor with a squeak, lunging for his sword. He grabbed it and scooted backward.

His eyes never left the boy's green eyes. His back hit a wall as the beast slowly slithered forward, crossing his arms on the floor and resting his hand on top of them. He laid down on his shirtless tummy making Liam gasp at how big he was.

"Well, are you going to slay me, little human?" The blond teased, glancing at his toothpick like the sword that quivered in his grip. "I'm ready to be slain, something your brothers failed to do."

"W-Where are t-t-they?" He squeaked, hating how his voice broke in fear. "My b-brothers?"

The snake didn't answer, only raising an eyebrow in amusement.

Liam held back a whimper as a clawed finger trailed down his cheek and shoulder slowly. He screwed his eyes tight. He was scared if he opened them, tears would trail down his cheeks like waterfalls.

"Such a brave little prince, huh?" The beast grinned. "It's adorable how scared you get in front of a beast like me."

Tears trailed down his cheeks as his hot breath fanned on his body, chills sent up his spine. He felt the tongue taste him again as he shuddered in pure fright. He couldn't move his sword or his body for that matter.