Chapter 27

Chapter 27:

---Jake's POV---

I was playing cards with Andy, Jinxx, and Christian at Jinxx's house when my phone started ringing with McKenzie's ringtone. I told the boys to hold on as I answered.

"McKenzie?"

"Hey Jake," she breathed in possibly the second most vulnerable voice I'd ever heard her use. The first was when she told us about her parents' accident last summer.

"Are you alright?" I asked, concerned. The other three immediately looked to me, equally concerned. "You're back home aren't you?"

"Yeah," she replied, still sounding upset and weak, only doubling my concern. Had her brother kicked her out or something? "Yeah, I'm home."

"What's wrong Kenzie?" I asked gently. "I want to help."

My heart broke for my young friend when I heard her let out a sob. "He cheated on me Jake." My eyes widened, only deepening the worry the others showed. "Ashley cheated on me."

"I'm going to kill him," I growled, causing the others to finally start asking questions.

"What's wrong?" Christian asked, worried.

"Who are you going to kill?" Jinxx questioned, confused.

"Who do you need help killing?" Andy inquired, looking both worried and angry.

McKenzie apparently heard them talking. "Who all is there?" she asked softly.

"Andy, Jinxx, and CC," I replied. "They're concerned as well."

McKenzie sighed. "I'm sorry if I bothered you guys..."

"Mickey, no. You aren't bothering anybody. What Ashley did was terrible and uncalled for. We can take care of him-"

"Jake, no," she stopped me, mildly mocking me. That made me smile, and by the sound of her voice, she was smiling as well. "He doesn't need to be taken care of. It's okay."

"What?" I asked, shocked. "What he did was not okay. Never say that. Nobody deserves to be cheated on, especially not you."

"Well yeah, but I knew it was likely to happen," she explained. "You and Starr both warned me. I dated him anyways. I kinda brought it on myself."

I sighed. "No way are you blaming yourself for him cheating."

"But-"

"McKenzie, quiet," Christian said, grabbing my phone and putting it on speaker phone. "You don't have to make excuses for anyone. You don't have to take the blame. It's completely Ashley's fault."

"But Jake warned me-"

"Would it make you feel better if I said I told you so?" I asked, joking.

She laughed, which was the intent. "No. Okay, I guess I see your point."

"We're going to come visit you tomorrow," Jinxx declared. The rest of us agreed and McKenzie's voice grew stronger and happier.

"That would be amazing," she said. "This doesn't really feel like my home anymore. Let's go to the movies or something."

"No worries, we'll find something to do," Christian replied, grinning.

"Thank you guys so much. You're seriously the best friends anyone could ask for." We "aww"ed in response and she chuckled. "Now, I've got to go eat dinner with my brother's new family." None of us bothered to asked what she meant, since she'd more than likely explain the next day. Instead we all bade her farewell and set to getting flight tickets.