Chapter 28

Continuation of Flashback:

Ahmed's POV:

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. What was Sairah planning?

After, playing basketball with Marco and Yusuf and beating their as- sorry... butts. God I almost forgot about the deal I made with Sairah to swear less. Now I was going to head home and shower because I did not want to be all sweaty when I meet up with Sairah.

"As-salaamo-alaykum Dad." I see my dad pacing around the kitchen as soon as I enter the house.

"Walaikum-as-salaam." He brushes me off quickly as if he's tense about something.

"Dad? Are you okay?" I put a hand on my dad's elbow while trying to scan his face to see what's wrong with him.

"No son I'm not okay? And you want to know why?" He turns his head facing me with his head in his hands.

I shake my head not knowing what my dad is talking about.

"Because of your damn actions!" He slaps his hand on the counter. I don't flinch cause I'm used to him getting angry.

I sigh and retract my hand putting it in my pocket. "Dad what is it now?"

"Now? Now I have to deal with you throwing all your hard work for a girl! A girl Ahmed! A girl!" He emphasizes 'girl' with annoyance and disappointment.

I clench my jaw getting heated. "Dad she is NOT some girl okay! I love her and she loves me! She is more than just some girl!" I soften my tone, "dad I love her okay and I'm not leaving NYU because of her. I'm not even thinking about NYU for her. And for our future together." I try to reason with my dad who is shaking his head in disbelief.

"Ahmed I know you care about her okay. There's nothing wrong with falling in love-- unless she's taking you away from your life plan!" My dad explains visibly frustrated.

"Dad, it was never my life plan to begin with. It was yours!" I run a hand through my hair.

"No son don't you see. I'm all for you and Sairah heck I supported you to be with her. But, not like this... not when she has some upper-hand over you."

I roll my eyes, "dad what are you talking about now?"

"I'm talking about the girl who you're so in love with." My dad says in a mocking tone.

I scoff at my dad. "You know I thought you wanted us to be together."

"I do, son. I do." My dad puts a hand on my back firmly. "But you need to understand how she's holding you back."

I break free from my dad's grip. "Dad I'm not talking about this with you. Not anymore anyways. I have to go get ready."

"Oh yea and let me guess you're going out to meet her... right?" My dad scoffs.

"You say it like it's a bad thing." I sigh as I go up the stairs.

"Because this 'love' you have is unhealthy!" My dad shouts from downstairs.

I roll my eyes and go to my room. Ya Allah give me sabr (patience).

I text Sairah I'll meet her soon and I head on into the shower.

I put on a casual blue tee shirt when Sairah texts me again.

"Wear something presentable today... although I know that'll be hard for you"

I laugh at her remark and text back. "Please we all know I always look more than presentable"

"Speak for yourself."