Chapter 55

Continuation of Flashback (6 months ago):

Sairah's POV:

I leaped out of bed. Today was the day. Like today WAS the day. It's been hard not seeing him for almost-- well a little over a year. But our last term ends today and he promised to fly out soon. I- I don't know why, but I had a sort of sense he was coming today though. Call me crazy, but I felt it in my gut. I twist the ring on my finger smiling. I missed him. So SO much. More than I'll ever admit to him. 

I missed the smell of his cologne. The earthy musk he possessed. I get up and pull out his blue hoodie he gave me a year ago. Looking at it made me miss him all the more. I missed seeing his goofy, boyish smile, his devilish smirk, his ridiculously attractive laugh and his hands running through his soft brown hair. 

God what has happened to me? I plop back on my bed kicking my legs up excitedly. I'd finally see Ahmed. I mean sure we FaceTimed but it's not the same. I couldn't visit him much either because it wouldn't be proper for us to be alone in his dorm if we weren't married yet. But he still visited twice last year, and those days flew by so quickly that I started missing him even while he was here. I play with the drawstrings of his hoodie. Could this be the moment when we finalize our--

"Sairah." I hear a knock on the door. I throw the sweatshirt Ahmed gave me behind my back in a reflex. Sorry, Ahmed. But I can't let my family know how much I missed you either. I look at the doorway and a rather cheery loking Zara is looking back at me.

"Hey b**** I missed you." Zara leans over and plants a kiss on my head.

"Zara!" I leap up and hug her tightly. I felt like I hadn't seen her in years either when I really saw her two months ago. "Where have you been?"

"Oh you know, touring the globe with Omar." Zara winks at me smiling.

I laugh shaking my head. "Take any more tours and I'll start booking tickets to see you."

"That's perfect!"Zara claps her hands. "I'll finally be the celebrity I was born to be."

"You weren't born for anything honey." I mutter under my breath.

"HEY!" She hits me with a pillow. "I heard that!"

"You were meant to." I give her a fake smile.

"You bi-" Zara laughs harder when I hear Omar's voice.

I quickly wrap my scarf around my head.

"Zara!" He calls out. "I thought the doctor specifically said to go easy on-" he shakes his head after seeing Zara and I both with pillows armed in our hands.

"The doctor huh?" I wiggle my eyebrows at Zara. I lean over to whisper to her, "is that some sort of kinky name you have for Omar now?"

"No. What-"

"You slick little minx!" I squeal poking her causing Omar to give us a look of concern and leave the room sighing.

"No, you disturbed pervert!" Zara smacks my hands down. "I was going to tell everyone at dinner but Omar kind of ruined that surprise I guess." 

"What surprise?" I ask confused.

"Of course I forgot that airheads like you are still painfully part of this family-" Zara gets up rolling her eyes and I slap her arm offended. "What? It's true. Anyways I'm uh-- I don't know how to announce this but uh you're going to be an aunt, Sairah."

I look at her shocked. "Wha-" I cut myself off composing myself and decide to tease Zara. "So? What's the big deal?" I look at my nails uninterestedly. "i've been an aunt before. And so have you. In case you forgot, we have two older brothers who have kids as well." I reply in a bored tone.