Chapter 41

Continuation of Flashback (2 years ago):

Ahmed's POV:

I couldn't believe it! Sairah was here! Wow! It's amazing how life works. I mean I was going to go visit her anyways to stop the wedding but turns out it doesn't even exist.

Sairah's smart I'll give her that. She knew that I still cared about her-- that's why she sent the invitation in the first place. And I fell for it-- not that I regret coming here. I missed her beautiful smile, her witty comebacks, the way her eyes light up when she laughs-- even if it's at me.

"Sairah." I call out to her softly as she got up to leave.

I got up to follow her then I stopped and sat back down. Maybe I'll tease her a little and not follow her. I mean she always knows I tell her to stop. But this time I'll wait it out and see how she reacts. I plop some fries in my mouth waiting until it's exactlybeen  five minutes since she got up.

"Are you all finished sir?" The waiter comes and gives me a judgemental stare.

I look at him not giving a single sh--you know what I don't want to swear right now. "No-" I look at his gold name tag, "No Samuel. I'm not." I get up as I put down my money. "Not by a long shot."

He looks at me confused then sighs. I was referring to Sairah though. I wasn't ready to back down. I never would be.

I head outside and look for her. She's not there. Oh shi-

"Came out here because you're nervous, too lil bro?" I turn around and see Omar.

"N- yea. Yea I was feeling nervous." I couldn't tell him Sairah ran out on me. He'd ask why and I was not going to tell him the history Sairah and I had.

"Why'd you come outside?" I put my hand in my pocket while surveying the parking lot for a potential Sairah.

"Well, I gave Zara my heart but it makes me nervous you know. I- I just-- you know that feeling when you fall in love and you leave your heart in that person's hands?"

"Yea." I say softly. I knew the feeling... all too well.

"Well I felt scared because I never felt like that before obviously. But now-- I realize I'm fine. Because I trust Zara and I know she loves me, too. We'll never hurt each other like that."

I look at him, "how can you be so sure? I mean how do you know you won't hurt-"

"-because when you love someone that much you'll do anything to spare them from hurting. Even if it hurts you."

I feel my heart clench. I did the same thing to Sairah thinking it was for her own good— but it helped neither of us.

"So what did you think of Zara's sister?" Omar asks casually.

"Uh— well she seems a little high maintenance." I play it off. I didn't want him to know how deeply in love I was with her.

"Really?" I look at Omar when I realize he wasn't the one who spoke. It was Sairah. Damn!

"Um I was just-" I try to reason.

"Leaving? Because that's what I'm going to do." Omar looks at me sympathetically and mouths 'good luck'

Sairah tilts her head to the side and let's out a dry laugh. "What? You think I'm high maintenance right now? I'd say wait till we're married but we're not going to be." Her lips form a tight smile.

I pause, "Sairah listen-"

"No you listen— you airhead!" She snaps and her eyes narrow into slits. "Don't you dare try to explain yourself like you've done in the past! Don't you dare try to belittle my emotions and make it seem like I'm over reacting!"

"I'm not!" I say taken aback by her words. "Sairah I may have been an a** to you by leaving you but I would never belittle you." I pause and sigh. "I know I can't take it back but if I could I would. Maybe not what I did but how I delivered the news."

She just scoffs at me and rolls her eyes. "Save it Ahmed." She looks at me tiredly, "I'm done playing this game with you. I'm not going to just wait on you hand and foot because you're too stupid to realize that I loved you— I really did."

I felt my heart break a little when she said that she 'loved' me. Does she not love me anymore? Has she already moved on? The questions circled my mind making me want to fight harder for her. I loved here too much to give up!

"You look beautiful." I say smiling.

I see a little rosy tinge form on her cheeks. "What's new?" She sighs.

I laugh at her remark. She wasn't wrong though. She always looked beautiful beyond words. "I'm offended, to be honest." I look up at her amber eyes.

"You should be. Because I can't say the same for you." Her tone was coy and I could tell she was teasing me.

"Well yea— I mean you look so beautiful and if it wasn't me who had showed up for this meeting and some other guy came— I couldn't bear it." I say softly.

She looks up at me wide eyed and her mouth is slightly parted. "You know— if it was any other guy," she leans closer whispering, "I would've enjoyed this meeting a lot more." She smiles wide then turns around to leave.

"But is there any guy who knows you like I do?" I say cockily.

"No," she sighs. "Painfully there isn't." She tilts her head to the side, "but now... you don't know me either."

"Sairah," I laugh. "You expect me to believe that you've moved on?"

"No I don't." She laughs dryly. "But then again you didn't believe me when I said I would've waited for you either right?"

I'm stunned by her words.

"So I guess we both had a few things to learn." She winks, "you better catch up Badri." She walks away leaving me with a mix of emotions. I was angry at myself for letting her go, and I was hurt that I had hurt her. Little did she know how much it hurt me too...
***********************************************
Relax Ahmed. You got this. You can handle going out with Sairah and her dad.

Apparently Sairah tried to tell her parents she wasn't interested in me— which kinda hurt but I mean I know she doesn't mean it... right?

But her dad suggested that he join Sairah and I to see who I am and if I'm worthy of her. To be honest I never would be— because Sairah deserves the utmost best— and I could never be that for her. But I will try to be that person. This time I won't run away because I have Omar with me.

Her dad suggested bowling with them and I was picking them up. God this couldn't be more awkward!

I ring their doorbell rehearsing conversation starters when Zara opens the door.

We exchange salaams then Zara yells "hey princess! Ahmed's here to save us from you for a few hour-" A shoe hits Zara's back. "OW! What the f-"

"If anything he's saving me from you!" Sairah says smugly. "Although," her eyes survey me, "he's not much of a help either."

I scoff laughing, "and sarcastic Sairah is here on schedule!"

"And annoying Ahmed is stating the obvious as scheduled!" She mocks with a fake smile.

"Sairah have you seen my— oh here it is!" Sairah's dad comes to the door and we exchange salaams.

"Okay lets get going!" Her dad says excitedly.

"Baba, it's not that thrilling. It's just bowling." Zara mutters and leaves.

"I think bowling is exciting!" Sairah squeals earning a raised eyebrow from me. "You never know what will happen." Her eyes bore into mine.

I felt myself grow nervous again. This is not going to end well.