Chapter 52

Continuation of Flashback (2 years ago):

Ahmed's POV:

I couldn't believe my dad went this far. He didn't even attend his own son's wedding. His pride is too much I guess. If it weren't for Sairah I would've-- actually I'm not quite sure what I would've done.  But regardless, seeing her beautiful smile always improved my mood. 

Actually it completely brightened the s*** out of my day. But don't tell Sairah I said that. First of all she'd tease me about going soft then she'd yell at me for cursing. I genuinely don't know how she does it. Like what the hell does she say when she's mad? Oh wait-- I know. She says 'shitake mushrooms' or 'holy crabcakes'. But recently she started using 'firecrackers'. It's bewildering because she literally shouts it with no context. I don't even know what the hell that s*** means. LIke what is she trying to say. I guess we'll never know. 

I paced around anxiously. I was waiting for Omar. It's been a few weeks since he and Zara were married. And I still had no idea how the fu- Firecrackers-- God she has me using her vocab now! Point is I had no clue how I was going to pay for my tuition this year. If I didn't find a way I'd have to drop out. And even worse-- yes it can get worse-- I could lose Sairah. There's no way her parents would let her marry a literal useless hobo.

I hear a knock at the door. "Finally you useless piece of sh-"

I open the door and see a pair of amber eyes looking back at me. S***! It was Sairah. Oops?

"You were saying?" She had a stern expression and she crossed her arms over her chest. 

"Um I- I was going to say 'shitake mushrooms'! You know how you always say when uh, when you're surprised." I attempted to play it off. But by Sairah's unbudged face I could tell she sure as hell wasn't buying it.

"Uh-huh. Is that so?" She narrows her eyes at me. "Is that also why you called me 'useless'?"

Damn it! I forgot I said that part too! "Well I- I didn't-- fine!" I give in. "I thought you were Omar." I plop down onto the bed in Yusuf's room. He lent me his room until our term for NYU resumed.

"Do I look like Omar?" She remarks pointing to her cute little outfit. She was wearing a cute grey sweater with baggy jeans. She looked stunning... as usual.

I look her up and down smirking. "Clearly not."

"Ahmed!" She scolds blushing uncontrollably. "Lower your freaking gaze... perv!" She looks back up at me as if she was checking me out. I was wearing a casual sweater.

"What?" I laugh. "It's true." I raise a brow at her, "Are you checking me out Ms. Bukhari?" 

Sairah throws her purse at me pouting. "Well I'm only balancing the scales of justice!"

"Alright alright." I raise my hands in defense. "You can stop bombarding me with your purse and other personal items now!"

"Oh really. Can I?" She rolls her eyes at me with her deafening sarcasm in her voice.

"Yes. You can." I give her a chessy smile which always seems to lighten her mood. 

She looks up at me again with a shy smile. "Well? What were you going to do with Omar?" 

I didn't want to remind her of my delightful dad and his course of action with my fees. She shouldn't feel stressed again even if she told me it doesn't bother her.

"Um, uh we were going to uh," my eyes dart around the room to find something as a reason. "We were going to have a pillow fight!" I blurt out.

"A- a pillow fight?" Sairah bursts out laughing. "You're- you're kidding right?"