Chapter 43

Continuation of Flashback (2 years ago):

Ahmed's POV: 

I couldn't stop myself from smiling. My heart felt free again. It felt like it finally was beating with ease. I felt myself gain the hope I thought I had lost so long ago.

Sairah loved me. No- she loves me. No matter how much she tries to hide it-- she'll give herself away. Although I admit she has one heck of a poker face. I actually thought she stopped loving me. That she stopped trying to hold onto me. Even if I gave her so many good reasons to let go-- Sairah still held me tightly. Close to her... and her heart.

When she leaned over to put the bowling ball away her necklace dangled out of her hijab. And in that moment I saw the ring I gave her nearly two years ago. Sparkling like it never did before. And there it was, around her neck-- close to her beautiful heart. 

She still had it around her neck safely. Meaning- Meaning she still loves me. She has to right? I mean what else could that mean?

I contemplated this as I drove Sairah and her dad to their house. 

Sairah's dad gets out and looks at me before closing the car door. "It was nice to get to know you better son, and Inshallah (God willing), I look forward to meeting you soon." 

"You too Mr. Bukhari. I enjoyed spending time with you and your daught-"

Sairah's purse hits my head as she gets out of the backseat. She gasps and covers her mouth dramatically, "oh I'm sorry. I'm just so clumsy."

I laugh at her acting. "Don't worry. I've got thick skin." I whisper so only she can hear me. "Quit trying to get under it. It won't work." I smirk at her.

"Really? Cause the fun hasn't even started yet?" She says smiling mischievously. 

"Oh bring it on Ms. Bukhari," I whisper slyly.

"Baba!" Sairah calls out to her dad. "Ahmed said he needs to use the bathroom."

"Oh okay." Her dad says. "Let him in. Come on in Ahmed." HEr dad gives me a warm smile.

Sairah's eyes gleam with mischief. 

"What are you planning now?" I sigh.

"Wasn't someone telling me to 'bring it on'." She says placing a finger on her chin. "So I'm bringing it on." She shrugs innocently.

I shake my head at her slowly laughing. "I do enjoy these conversations of ours."

"Shame I can't say the same about your presence." She replies with a tight smile.

"Okay bring your 'A' game sweetie." I wink before going through her front door.

I hear her let out a fake laugh and she follows me. 

"Ahmed, the bathroom is over-"

"He knows where it is." Sairah interrupts her dad and goes up the stairs. "You know that's where he gets most of his ideas from?" She smiles.

I wait for her dad to go into his room before calling out to Sairah, "you'd know wouldn't you!"  

"Yea, I would given the fact that I've suffered because of your vapid ideas." She narrows her eyes at me.

"Was one of my vapid ideas saying "I love you"?" I ask.

I see her tense at my question but before she can answer I ask her another question.

"Or was one of them giving you the ring that you still wear around your neck?" I walk up the stairs whispering.

"I- I don't--" She stutters staring at me wide-eyed. She clutches the necklace around her neck.

"Sairah I know you still love me. And I- I honestly don't know why the hell you do," I let out a dry chuckle, "but I- I love you. I always have. Always will. In New York. In LA. In every place, my heart beats for you." I whisper as my breathing gets heavy. 

I was scared for her reaction. I was scared of maybe her wearing the ring as a pure coincidence. What if she wore it just-

"Ahmed." Sairah's eyes are glassy. "I-I can't-- I don't know if I can trust you anymore." Her voice breaks, "you-- you've said those words before and you bailed. Each time." She shuts her eyes tightly. "You can't come back and expect everything to be normal and back to how it was 2 years ago. Because..." the hurt look in her eyes makes my heart ache. "Because we both know things have changed. We changed."

"But we still have the same feelings." I say genuinely.

"Maybe. Maybe not. But I'd be a fool to let you in so easily." Sairah says slowly.

"So don't!" I blurt out. "Just- just don't push me away."

"That's funny. I thought you already did that to me." Sairah's voice is shaky and she gives me a small smile.

"Sairah I- I did that because I love you. I did it for you to be honest. It's what was best for you."

"And who the heck gave you the right to decide what best for me!" She scoffs. 

"Sairah I had no right, you're absolutely right. But can you blame me for doing something kind for someone who I love." I ask annoyed from making the situation worse. 

"And can you blame me for not letting myself get hurt by someone who I love!" She yells annoyed.

"So you do still love me." I say smirking feeling myself fill with joy.

"Of course I do, you idiot!" She stomps her foot on the stairs. "And don't bother asking me why because honestly," she lets out a high pitched laugh, "I wouldn't know what the heck to tell you." She rolls her eyes, "there are so many reasons why I shouldn't-"

"Oh really?" I ask amused.

"Yes." She responds bitterly. 

"Well do, tell me more." I lean on the railing.

"Well for starters, you're a jerk." She says with a tight smile. "You're a selfish ape who thinks nothing than himself." She lets out an exasperated sigh. "You think too highly of yourself in every department!"

I scoff, "really?" I smile, "so you don't think I'm all that?"

"I know you're not 'all that"." She winks then goes up the stairs.

"We were still talking," I say confused on why she was leaving.

"Nope." She says popping the 'p'. "I was talking. You were listening." She pretend bows, "and now that my point has been made-- I'm leaving."

"But-"

"Allahafiz Ahmed!" She says rolling her eyes while smiling.

I roll my hand into a loose fist and laugh, "Allahafiz Sairah." I say under my breath. Wow! She's quite the charm.

I head downstairs to leave when I hear Sairah's dad.

"Going so soon son?"

"Yea I- I got everything I needed." I smile as I wave goodbye to him. 

"Um-- o-okay." He says confused.

Now there was only one thing left to do. Prove that I love Sairah and that I'll never let her go.