Chapter 19

I don't own Naruto.

Naruto was not an idiot. He knew what to expect when he decided to visit the town for the first time but it proved to be even worse then he expected. The buildings didn't look bad, they were what to expect from a small port village. He would go as far as say most of their houses looked miles better then what he has.

People on the other hand....the streets were nearly empty and the ones outside had patched up clothes, heads drooped down and guarded expressions. Some looked angry ready to take their anger on next person getting on their way and others would flinch at every loud sound. His keen eyesight could see the people looking at him from the windows a mix of distrusts and hope coloring their expression.

He grit his fists and growled in anger.

'I hope Kakashi-sensei makes it painful.' He thoght having a good idea where Kakashi and Zabuza could have gone for such a long time especially when the foreign ninja also took his sword.

Killing is part of the job and while he would prefer to not have to do that he knew that the older ninja have blood on their hands.

"Naruto-san?" his head snapped up looking at the concerned expression on of bride builders daughter face.

"Ah! Sorry I spaced out for a moment there, he hehe." he laughed awkwardly rubbing the back of his hear, the woman stared at him with a grim bitter smile taking the condition of the village in her sight as well.

"It's a depressing sight right? It wasn't always like this, Wave was not a rich town but by no means poor. Everyone could afford a comfortable and happy life before Gato came along and turned our home in a living hell." the blonde's blood boiled, he hated seeing the helpless state of what was once a great place to live based on Tsunami's words.

How did thing's turn out this way?! There had to be someone capable of doing something, at least come to Konoha and request for someone to deal with Gato before things turned out like this!!

"Didn't anyone try to stop him?" he asked trying to keep his anger under control, maybe it's something he doesn't get. Some reason why things progressed this way he doesn't know about.

Instatly he knew that he made a good decision when the woman's eyes clouded and she looked to the side.

"There was a man, Inari's father....he stood up to Gato and his men but - but. Inari was never the same after, he was such a cheerful and open child before." with each word Naruto felt his chest grow heavier. Suddenly so much about the kids attitude made sense and he felt bad for thinking he was just a spoiled brat.

"Sorry for bringing it up." he muttered looking away and feeling he should say more but nothing come out, why he could not say anything to make her feel better? Trough what could he posibly say?

"Don't worry about it Naruto-san, once Gato is gone we can finally recover. Maybe then Inari will gain back his hope." she walked forward as the blonde fell slightly behind her a word repeating in his mind.

"Hope."

Naruto was silent for the rest of the the shop g trip his mind trying to make sense of everything he found out.

///

"Heya! Kakashi-sensei, no eyebrows just in time!" as soon as the two men entered the house they were greeted by an energetic blonde.

"Hello Naruto I assume you are talking about food?" the man said his keen sense of smell letting him know about it before he even entered the house.

"Yeah! I'll go call Haku." right before the boy could run Kakashi droped a hand on his shoulder.