"Ordinary" People ~~ Part 2

~~Hope's POV~~

~~Hope's POV~~

"The original witch." Auntie Bex tells me dramatically.

"But if your mother was a witch, then--"

"Am I? No. A witch is nature's servant. Vampire is an abomination of nature. You can either be one or the other, never both." She tells me.

"Than why do I still have my magic?" I question. She looks at me surprised.

"Excuse me?"

"After I activated my vampire side, I'm still able to do my magic." I clarify for her.

"Really?" She asks. I nod, throwing a candle stick backwards.

"Than you, my niece, are a one of a kind. It's probably because your the only one like you. A born vampire." She says, smiling at me which only makes me smile just as wide at her.

"Back to the story?" She asks. I nod.

"My mother did this for us. She did not turn." Auntie Bex says.

"How did you turn?" I ask her. She gets a distant look in her eye before continuing on with the story, and answering my question.

"She called upon the sun for life and the ancient white oak tree, one of nature's eternal objects, for immortality. That night, my father offered us wine laced with blood. And then he drove his sword through our hearts." Auntie Bex explains, tears in her eyes.

"He killed you?"

"And he wasn't delicate about it either." She says, taking a beat before she continued, "We had to drink more blood to complete the ritual. It was euphoric. The feeling of power was indescribable. But the witch Ayana was right about the consequences. The spirits turned on us, and nature fought back. For every strength, there would be a weakness. The sun became our enemy. It kept us indoors for weeks. And then my mother found a solution. There were other problems. Neighbors who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out. The flowers at the base of the white oak burned and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away."

"So we burned it to the ground." Auntie Bex explains.

"But the darkest consequence was something my parents never anticipated... the hunger. Blood had made us reborn, and it was blood that we craved above all else. We could not control it. And with that... the predatory species was born." She finishes. I never heard that version of the story. With all the detail.

I never acted like it was a big deal before, but now I know it isn't.

"Why did Mikael start hunting Dad?" I ask, hopeing for more detail on that too.

"When Nik made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf gene. With that, he became my father's greatest shame."

"Your mother had had an affair with one of the werewolf villagers, didn't she?" I ask, trying to act like I didn't know this part.