[ 𝟏𝟎 ]

Beeeeep

Beeeeep

The TV switched on abruptly, indicating that the power back was on again. The screen flashed all kinds of color before displaying "President's Emergency Statement" on the screen. "The TV is on!" one of the residents sitting in the daycare center exclaimed, making everyone pay attention to the small screen.

"My fellow citizens," The president began. "We are declaring a state of emergency. Do not leave your homes. The monsters are extremely dangerous. The government will prioritize the citizens' safety... and..." the man on the screen began stuttering, struggling to say his next words as a look of agony slowly crept across his face.

Slamming his hands on the wooden podium in front of him, he bent down, leaving the shot of the camera slightly. "What?" the owner of the supermarket asked quizzically, not having a single clue about what was happening. The next second, the president popped back into the shot, with thick, red blood gushing out of his nose as it quickly trickled down his jaw.

"As if! Shit!" he screamed out in anger, reaching for his tie and loosening it, smearing blood all over his once-white shirt. "Everyone is going to die. You're all fucked!" he said to the camera when a shot of a gun was heard, a bullet piercing through his brain and making the man falter. Blood of the president splattered all over the flag of South Korea right next to the podium.

The disturbing scene in front of the residents made their hearts race, and the sudden ear-ringing gunshot made them tense their muscles and yelp in fear.

Even with a bullet in his head, the president didn't seem to be affected by it at all. Still standing on his feet, he managed to make his way back to the podium, "You're going to die..." he mumbled. The president tried to run towards the camera, but a few soldiers approached him and stopped the man. A few more gunshots were heard before the TV screen flashed again, signaling that the emergency broadcast had ended.

"What? Is... is the president dead?" the man who owned the supermarket stuttered in shock. "Isn't that obvious, sir?" Yujin scoffed, rolling her eyes, annoyed by the old man's ignorant question. Unlike the other residents, the disturbing footage on the TV didn't really affect or scare Yujin, she already knew that they were all fucked.

Eunhyuk told her before that this whole monster apocalypse was caused by human desire. If one were to give in to their biggest, darkest desire, they'd turn into a monster. That means that no one was safe, everyone could turn at any time. Yujin knew long before the president's speech that relying on the government and the army wasn't the way out. They were on their own.

"Gosh, I voted for him," Byungil sighed frantically, scratching his head in distress. "But still, they'll come and save us..." Seungwan began, still convinced that the army will be their salvation in this mess. The supermarket owner, Kim Sukhyun shouted back in irritation, "Are you deaf? He just said we're all fucked!" referring to the president's words just moments ago. For once, Yujin agreed with him.

Seungwan let out a scream, scaring Yujin and the rest of the people there as he slammed his phone down, his phone landing on the ground with a thud and almost hitting Yujin. "What's wrong with him?" people around him whispered, freaked out by the man's sudden outbreak.

"Calm down!" Yujin yelped in frustration, tired of all of their crap. Everyone turned their eyes to the young girl, surprised by how calm and seemingly unaffected she was. "Yeah yeah the government can't help us, so what? Let's all just give up and kill ourselves together?" she eyed the adults around her, finding their reaction and the way they dealt with the situation ridiculous. They all stared at her in fear, shocked that the younger girl who was always calm and collected was suddenly lashing out, no one dared to answer her.

"Freaking out is only going to make matter worse. Get your shit together, please... or else we won't stand a chance," she sighed. Everyone in the room became quiet, thinking deeply about Yujin's words. They all knew that deep down, the 18-year-old was right.

Yujin sighed once more as she stood up and walked towards the corner of the room, bending down to sit on the floor. She let her eyes flutter shut, hoping to get some sleep in while ignoring the whispers of the residents in the room.

Eunhyuk stood outside the daycare center, looking down at the young girl quietly, with emotions that were difficult to decipher.