[ 𝟐𝟑 ]

As the giggle of the 18-year-old girl slowly subsided, Hyunsoo's previously pouty lips were now stretched into a slight smile

"I just- I really am grateful for you," He urged on.

Hyunsoo had never been the type to be good with words, so he didn't really know what other ways to tell Yujin about his gratefulness towards her.

However, what he said was the truth. Hyunsoo was very grateful for her.

She had been nothing but kind to him ever since he fell and landed on the ground floor. When Hyunsoo woke up in the game center after the fall, he was terrified and felt all alone. But then there she was, calming him down with her voice that was almost as soft and comforting as velvet.

She was always checking up on him, asking if he was okay, smiling at him. The time when Hyunsoo felt the most thankful for the young girl was when she had defended him from Seokhyeon, the supermarket owner.

That old man was scary, intimidating, to say the least. For someone like Hyunsoo, he would've never been able to stand up against him. If Yujin wasn't there next to him, Hyunsoo would've probably just kept his head down and his mouth shut while enduring all the insults and threats Seokhyeon had thrown at him.

It was safe to say that Hyunsoo was incredibly thankful that Yujin was beside him to defend him that time. The way she just grabbed Seokhyeon's arms and told the old guy to back off, not a hint of fear evident in her eyes, is something Hyunsoo would never forget.

It was that very second when Hyunsoo had grown to be very fond of the girl.

"Look- it's all good, don't worry about it," Yujin beamed at the boy, patting his shoulders mid-sentence to show her understanding.

Hyunsoo simply nodded before awkwardly clearing his throat, "So uh- where's the boy?" he questioned, trying to divert the attention elsewhere.

"Hm? Which boy?" Yujin hummed quietly and looked up at him with curious eyes. "Oh, you mean Eunhyuk?" she added.

"Yeah, him. Where is he?"
"I'm not sure honestly, but I don't care."

A small frown tugged at Yujin's lips as she muttered a response, picking at the sleeves of her hoodie absentmindedly as she does so. Hyunsoo shot the girl a look of bewilderment, obviously confused at her sudden remarks.

As far as Hyunsoo could remember, Eunhyuk was always beside Yujin ever since he arrived on the ground floor. They were always smiling at each other, exchanging secret glances. So what was all this about?

"We sort of... got into a fight," Yujin told the boy, clearly aware of his questioning gaze. "Oh," Hyunsoo slowly nodded at her response, feeling unsure as to what to say. Should he comfort her? Should he ask about what had happened? Wouldn't that be nosy?

An airy laugh escaped Yujin's lips, "It's not a big deal though, no worries..." she said nonchalantly. However, Hyunsoo could hear how her voice wavered, emotions breaking through.

A subtle sigh fell from Hyunsoo's lips, "You're upset, aren't you?" His question caught the girl beside him off guard. Pondering on his question, Yujin stayed quiet, she couldn't think of anything to say.

She scrambled her mind, trying her hardest to come up with some lame excuse so that she pretend to be unaffected, but she simply couldn't.

Indeed, she was upset.

"You're right. I'm upset."

"How could I not? He was being so unfair, all I wanted was to come and check on you. It's not even a big deal, so I just don't understand why he had to act the way he did." Yujin rambled on, her eyebrows scrunching up in distress as the words escaped out of her lips.

"Everything has been difficult enough, I just- I don't need his bullshit!" she added, throwing her head back frustratedly with her eyes closed, her fingers rubbing gently on her temples as an attempt to soothe the throbbing headache she had.

Hyunsoo fumbled with his fingers in his seat, nodding his head quietly as Yujin continued on with her rant. "We were on good terms, Hyunsoo. God- I like him so much! Yet he had to say shit like this and-"

"Wait... you like him?" Hyunsoo opened his mouth and asked, stopping Yujin mid-sentence.

"Hmm?" Yujin looked at the boy with her eyebrows raised, oblivious to the words she had just said. When it finally dawned upon her, the look of confusion was immediately replaced with one of horror as the girl's eyes widened in shock.

"M- me? Liking Eunhyuk? That's ridiculous-"
"You literally just said that you liked him."

Yujin let out a loud cackle, slightly startling the boy next to her as she spoke, "Hyunsoo, you need rest. I think you're hallucinating!"

The boy just shot Yujin a look of amusement, his lips tugging up slightly before the sound of his laughter echoed through the room, catching Yujin off guard, and the boy himself as well.

Hyunsoo couldn't even remember the last time he had genuinely laughed about something. For as long as he could remember, he was always sulky, depressed, miserable. But at that very moment, the warm and giddy feeling that was coursing through his veins, he felt... happy.

Why was he laughing? He had no idea.

Does it matter though? Not really.

A large smile plastered itself onto his lips, "Yujin... you should go talk to him, make things work. You'll feel much better, I promise."

Yujin nibbled softly at her lips, "You think so?" she asked with her shoulder slumped, her mind clouded with worry. What if Eunhyuk and her never made up? What if their friendship was over?

"I- I know so," Hyunsoo spoke, a sheepish grin on his face while his hand timidly reached for her shoulders and patted it gently, mimicking the girl's action moments ago.

There was a comfortable silence that clung in the air, neither of the 18-year-old had spoken anything. The both of them just sat on the green crates, their shoulders touching slightly as they enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, something that they rarely came across amidst this total chaos of a world.

Hyunsoo still had on this small smile, enjoying the joyous feeling that was bubbling at the pit of his stomach, something he had not experienced for such a long time. Whereas Yujin's mind was continued to be clouded with one person and one person only, Eunhyuk.

Even after that nasty argument, she couldn't seem to hate him. Her heart still quickened its pace at the mere thought of the boy.

Hyunsoo's right, I should go talk to him. Yujin thought, determined to make things right again.