[ 𝟏𝟏 ]

Soft snores of the sleeping residents filled the daycare center

Soft snores of the sleeping residents filled the daycare center. Looking up at the heart-shaped clock on the wall, 1:09, Yujin exhaled lightly.

She had been having trouble sleeping for the past couple of days. Whenever she tried closing her eyes, her mind would immediately drift off to the monster she saw in the staircase. She may pretend to be tough on the outside, but deep down she was scared, so scared.

The girl slowly sat up on the ground, taking a glance at the people sleeping around her, slightly annoyed at the snores that were keeping her awake. Rubbing her hands over her face frustratedly, she got up silently and tiptoed over to the door, careful not to wake anyone up.

After leaving the daycare center, she walked around aimlessly, arriving at a secluded hallway when he saw the shadow of a boy sitting on a bench. As she took a closer look, she noticed that it was Eunhyuk. Why is he still up so late?

"You again," a small smile crossed her lips as he approached Eunhyuk. The brown-haired boy glanced up at the voice of the girl, meeting her eyes and the smile that beamed at him as he chuckled at her words. "You're up late," Eunhyuk spoke, a ghost of a smile on his lips.

Yujin walked over to him, taking a seat at the opposite end of the bench. "Couldn't sleep, I can't stop thinking about the monster I saw the other day," Eunhyuk nodded softly at her answer. As Yujin mentioned the word "monster", his mind was suddenly flooded with images of the monster who killed the man just a few days ago at the entrance. His freakishly long tongue, his ripped apart jaw, his long arms, sending chills down Eunhyuk's spine.

"You?"
"I couldn't sleep either."

The two stayed silent for a while, quietly enjoying each other's company. Not one word needed to be said, just them being next to each other was enough, their existence gave them both a slight feeling of comfort.

"Eunhyuk?"
"Yeah?"
"What would you do if you turned into a monster?"

Thinking hard at Yujin's hypothetical question, Eunhyuk remained silent for a few moments before opening his mouth to admit, "I would put myself in quarantine. I couldn't put people around me in danger just because I wanted to live. Especially not Eunyu,"

"And you," he added in a hushed tone, making sure that Yujin couldn't hear him.

There was a silence that followed and Yujin bit her lip thoughtfully, "Well then, I pray that you will never become a monster," she smiled. The boy's lips curved into a slight smile with Yujin's response.

To Eunhyuk, Yujin was so innocent, so sweet, so brave. She didn't deserve to be in this mess.

"Are you scared?" Yujin asked again, picking at the sleeves of her sweater absentmindedly. "Well, I'd be lying if I say I'm not," said Eunhyuk with a bitter smile. "I'm scared too... but I know that I'll be okay!" she expressed, a joyful look on her face.

"Why is that?"
"Cause I got you and Eunyu with me!"

The boy immediately tore his eyes away from Yujin, hiding his cheeks that blushed a rosy pink and his red, burning ears.

A light giggle left her lips. "What were your plans for the future? You know, if this apocalypse thing didn't happen," she began, eyes trained onto the ceiling as if she was deep in her thoughts. Laughing bitterly at Yujin's question, "I'm a medical student, so I guess I would've become a doctor after I finished my study. But now... I'm just... struggling to survive," his voice resolved into nothingness.

Yujin hummed, pondering on his response. "If this whole thing never happened, I'd probably study hard and finish college. After that... I would love to become a writer." Eunhyuk glanced at her with peaked interest, "You like writing?"

The girl nodded her head excitedly, almost like a little kid. "I love writing! It makes me feel calm and peaceful. Besides, I can create anything in my wildest imagination!" Eunhyuk couldn't help but let out a soft chuckle, finding the girl's reaction slightly adorable but quickly pushed those thoughts away.

"Eunhyuk, do you think we will survive all this? To live long enough to live out our dreams?" she asked, pretending to be nonchalant. When in reality, she was terrified to hear his response. After all, the situation right now was quite grim. The food that they had would eventually run out, and it's just a matter of time before the electricity and water were cut off as well.

Eyeing the worried girl sitting beside her, "Let's hope so," he sighed, unsure of how to comfort Yujin.

"How about... let's make a promise?" Yujin said defiantly, shuffling towards Eunhyuk as she grabbed him by the shoulders, looking up at him with determination in her eyes. Eunhyuk raised his brows amusingly, signaling for the girl to continue.

"Let's promise each other... that no matter what happens, we will survive through this," she suggested, her eyes filled with hope.

Eunhyuk stayed silent. He had never been the type to make promises to others. In fact, he hated promises, promises are only made to be broken anyway.

When someone is sure about keeping a promise when it's hardly possible, there's a good chance it's a lie.

With his lack of response, Yujin tightened her grip on the boy, urging for him to agree on the promise.

"Alright, I promise," Eunhyuk nodded, earning a big smile from Yujin. The two fell into a comfortable silence again, with Eunhyuk still thinking deeply about the promise he just made.

Would he be able to keep his promise to Yujin?