[ 𝟐𝟎 ]

The emergency meeting had ended, and the other residents all came to an agreement to put both Hyunsoo and Seokhyeon in quarantine inside the game center

The emergency meeting had ended, and the other residents all came to an agreement to put both Hyunsoo and Seokhyeon in quarantine inside the game center. With the final decision made, people began to leave the room.

"You can't judge someone on their looks."
"Would he survive a shot to the head?"
"How can we kill him then?"
"Did you vote in favor? You're the murder accomplices!"
"What if he turns into a monster?"

When Yujin and Eunyu walked out of the daycare center together, they could hear the loud chatters of the residents in the distance, probably talking about Hyunsoo again. Eunyu paid no mind to their words as she was too occupied by the music blasting from her headphones, her head bobbing lightly along with the beat as she walked, earning a look of amusement and a giggle from Yujin.

As the two girls walked down the hallway, they saw Yoonjae lurking in the corner, not making a sound. Yujin eyed him skeptically, finding his actions awfully suspicious. With the deep cuts on his face and the evil look hidden in his eyes, there was definitely something off about him.

Noticing a presence beside him, Yoonjae quickly craned his neck and looked to his left. After realizing that it was Yujin, he quickly darted his eyes away, avoiding eye contact with the younger girl. Yujin opened her mouth and was about to ask what he was doing there, but before she could do so, she was dragged away by an impatient Eunyu.

The two girls slowly approached the residents, who were too immersed in their conversation about what the causes of the apocalypse were.

"It's because of radiation," Hyein spoke up with certainty in her voice. Byungil scoffed at the woman and shook his head incredulously, "Come on. Didn't you watch the news? It's because of human desire."

Seungwan hummed at his words and quickly nodded in understanding, "Right... It must be because the owner of the supermarket is so greedy!" his words earning a scowl from Byungil.

"No, he's not! Then what about Hyunsoo? What was his desire?" Byungil asked the residents beside him defensively, irritated by how Seungwan described his older brother as greedy. Yujin raked her eyes over the frowning male and couldn't help but wonder how he could still defend Seokhyeon even after everything that had happened.

Eunyu shook her head in annoyance and leaned in towards Byungil, "You better be careful too. It seemed your appetite was out of control," she told him in a mocking tone, her voice echoing through the hollow corridor as a sneer made its way to his face.

Byungil's mouth parted slightly with Eunyu's words, his mind scrambled to think of a comeback but ultimately failed considering no words came out. Rolling her eyes at him, Eunyu grabbed onto Yujin's hand and began walking forward again.

"It's because of radiation!" Hyein spoke up, absentmindedly petting the pomeranian on her lap as she attempted to resume their previous conversation.

"No... we're getting punished." A woman said in a hushed tone, her words capturing the attention of both Yujin and Eunyu, causing them both to turn on their heels and glanced at her. "It's God's punishment." The woman added, her voice slightly trembling in fear.

Yujin listened closely to every word she said, pulling a face with her brows knitting together in confusion. She nestled her bottom lip between her teeth while thinking deeply about the woman's words.

Could all of this possibly be the punishment of God? Sure, people are turning into monsters because of their desire, but why did this suddenly happen? Having desires wasn't anything new to humans, so why now?

"I agree. That's the most plausible answer I've heard so far." Eunyu chimed in, snapping Yujin out of her trance. Raking her eyes over the residents' worried face, she continued, "Since we're all humans, no one knows... who will be next."

Silence and still hung low in the narrow, dim corridor as the gathered residents all widened their eyes, taking in Eunyu's words. They were afraid, petrified, because they knew that what Eunyu said was true. After witnessing what had happened in the daycare center with Seokhyeon, they all realized that no one could possibly anticipate what would happen next.

Anyone can turn at any time.

"Wow..." Eunyu smirked, finding their frightened expressions so funny that she had to bit back the urge to laugh and make fun of them. With that, Eunyu swiftly turned on her heels again and walked off, Yujin following right behind her.

Once they left the scene, Yujin looked at Eunyu with her eyebrows raised, a look of perplexity painted across her face. "Umm, what the hell was that?" she asked quizically. Turning to look at the older girl, a chuckle escaped past Eunyu's lips when she saw Yujin's confused face, "That, was the funniest thing ever! Did you see their faces?"

Yujin stared at the girl unbelievingly, finding nothing funny about the situation. Noticing how Yujin wasn't laughing along with her, "Come on, I was just messing around!" Eunyu added with her nose scrunched up while trying her best to suppress her laughter and not break into a laughing fit.

Yujin rolled her eyes at the younger girl jokingly, "You're so mean, they're probably so freaked out!" Shrugging her shoulders with a bored look on her face, "Whatever," Eunyu giggled and stuck her tongue out, teasing the older girl. Yujin simply shook her head at Eunyu's childish behavior in amusement and began walking off.

"Yujin! Where are you going?"
"Game center. You coming?"

Eunyu scrunched her face up in disgust and fake gagged, "Ew no, I refuse to be in the same room with that grumpy old supermarket owner."

"What an asshole!" she added as she recalled all those times he had hit his wife, cursed people out, and almost hit Yujin just minutes ago in the daycare center.

Upon hearing Eunyu's response, a soft chuckle escaped Yujin's lips. "Yeah, he's pretty unbearable."

A few moments of silence later, a quizzical look crept across Eunyu's face as she asked the older girl, "Wait, why are you going there though?"

"I just wanted to go and check up on Hyunsoo," Yujin answered nonchalantly, shrugging her shoulders as she spoke. Eunyu's shoulders fall slightly with the 18-year-old's words, the smallest pout tugged on her lips.

Her look of sadness certainly didn't go unnoticed by the older girl, Yujin tilted her head in confusion and asked, "What's wrong?"

Eunyu immediately erased her frown and plastered a wide smile on her face, "Nothing's wrong!" waving her hands at Yujin and dismissing her concern.

Deciding not to push the subject any further, Yujin simply hummed at her answer and turned around to walk away, still deep in thought about Eunyu's reaction.

/author's note/

hiii everyone! so I just wanna pop up and quickly apologize in advance cause my exams are coming up, which means I won't be able to update very often :(((

updates will be pretty slow for the next two weeks, but I will be back when my exams are over and I will be posting more regularly then!

until next time~ sorry once again :(