34

Chapter Thirty-Four

ARIA REMOVED THE lid to the shoebox that had held her Skrewt for the past two months. With a heavy sigh, she set him on the ground before the forest and gave him a gentle nudge forward. It wasn't long before he disappeared into the greenery.

She looked around her as other students began to head back to the castle. Some had not cared that they were losing their pet, others released a few tears upon seeing them go.

Aria tried not to feel anything as she headed back to the castle. She always knew that she'd have to let him go eventually, there was no point in dwelling on what had already happened.

Besides, she had more important things to focus on.

Christmas was only a few days away and that was when Aria planned to put her ingenious plan into action. After hearing Potter speak to that snake, she had researched and found it was called Parseltongue. People who could speak it were never the right kind of people to be around and as much as Aria detested that statement, she was determined to prove it by making Harry out to be the heir. That way she wouldn't be a suspect anymore.

Aria knew that her three roommates were going home for Christmas and she wished that she had that option, however, her devious scheme needed working on and with her father's pure distaste for everything she did, it was better to stay at the school.

Aria arrived at the library, tossing the empty box that once continued Skrewty to the side as she slid in next to George.

"Thank Merlin you're back, Aria. Georgey here hasn't shut up about you. Crying all the time-"

George slapped his twin across the back of his head. "Shut up."

The two continued to bicker as Aria looked around the library. She spotted two Hufflepuff students towards the other end of the room, but that was it. The place was virtually empty.

As Aria was about to bury her nose in a book, Potter dashed past the entrance with his friends. They were running far too fast to not be up to something.

She stood up, intent on following them, but George grabbed her wrist.

"No, wait! I have to go and see something." She shook herself free of him and hurried after the second-years. "I'll come back." She called, running out of the room.

She made it out of the library just in time to see Potter turn the corner. She followed at a great pace.

After much chasing, she watched as they slid into the haunted bathroom. Aria shuddered. No one went in there, there was a ghost, a mean one rumors claimed. She wanted to know what a bunch of second-years were doing conspiring with one and so she followed them in.

"What in Merlin's name are you three doing?" She leaned against the door frame, staring down at them and keeping an eye out for a ghost at the same time.

All three pairs of eyes shot up to look at her in shock. Hermione was the first to speak, "Oh, Aria. It's only you. We were worried it was your father or something." She laughed nervously.

"You'd only be worried if you were up to something." She folded her arms across her chest.

"We're not!" Harry exclaimed.

"Yes. You are." Aria chuckled. "Come on, tell me what it is. I won't snitch."

"Don't tell her Harry! George says she's not trustworthy." Ron whispered.

Aria felt her face heat up in anger. "George said what?" She glared down at the ginger. What George said wasn't the problem, it was when he said it that mattered. Had it been in the last few days when they had just rekindled their relationship? He'd lose his head. "Ronald, when did your brother say that?" She demanded.

The ginger stumbled a bit over his words, "Uh, it was after you two broke up."

Aria relaxed. "Oh." That was all she said. Sure, it was rude of him to say, but they had just had a huge fight and broken up. It was only normal that he would say something nasty like that. "Anyway," she turned back to them. "Either you three tell me what's going on or I'll ask my father to find out. It's your choice."

A chill went down Aria's spine, but she ignored it.

She found herself staring at Harry, once again mesmerized by his stunning eyes. She wished he would get a better haircut so she would be able to see the scar, but no matter how hard she focused on his forehead she couldn't see past his fringe.

"Ah!" He exclaimed and reached up, pushing his hair out the way and touching the scar.

"What's wrong?" Hermione fretted.

"My scar... it hurt for a second."

"Does it do that often?" Aria wondered, genuinely curious.

He shook his head. "No, not often at all."

Aria nodded. She wondered what else there was to Harry Potter. Did the scar even have any significance to him lately?

A moment of silence passed before Aria sighed. "Fine, don't tell me what you're up to. I will find out, though." She marched out of the bathroom and shivered. The atmosphere was terrible in there, she couldn't take it any longer.

As Aria stalked back to the library, she thought about what they could have possibly been doing. She wondered if it all had something to do with the heir of Slytherin and they were trying to hide Harry away before he was found out.

She didn't know, but she swore she would get to the bottom of it.