97

Ninety-Seven

ARIA'S FATHER HAD agreed to let her work as his understudy for the year ahead, she left for Hogwarts in only a few hours.

Aria had given it a lot of thought and as much as it pained her, she knew it was the right thing to do - she couldn't stay with George any longer. She loved him, but she wasn't in love with him anymore and she had felt this way for a while, since the first time they had broken up, in fact. She just hadn't acknowledged it until when she had visited Draco the other day.

"Harry was asking about you," George mumbled as he stared at the collection of stocked shelves in glee. "Came by yesterday."

Aria nodded. She had been at Borgin and Burkes with Draco, although she took a careful effort to make sure no one would recognize her, like George. Hopefully, the effort had fooled Harry. "I have to talk to you about something."

George glanced at her. "That's never good." She had his full attention now, his brows furrowed as he asked, "what's wrong?"

"I told you about my plan to go to Hogwarts."

"Yes, I think it's splendid."

She nodded. "And I also told you that it was because I wanted to follow in my father's footsteps."

George nodded.

"That's not the only reason, actually." She avoided his eyes. He wouldn't take what she was about to confess well, but it was the only way he would accept the breakup. "I'm going for Draco."

George said nothing and continued to look at Aria with that expressionless stare she loathed so much.

"I cheated with him, a lot, George. Last year, at the Yule Ball, there were lots of times and I'm sorry, but I want to be with him, not you."

George said nothing for a moment. "I knew about the Yule Ball already, Aria, I just didn't know that it happened again." He avoided looking at her and instead faced the ground. "I honestly knew this was coming. I can't act surprised..."

"I still love you, though," Aria told him, hoping it would stop the tears that pricked in his eyes.

"Don't-" His voice was raised and behind the tears pooling in his eyes, she saw anger. He let out a breath. "I have to get some fresh air."

Aria felt an instant wave of guilt wash over her as he walked out, but she ignored it, sent one last look around the shop, thinking of all the memories she'd created in the last few weeks, and left.

ϟ

It wasn't long before Aria was back at Hogwarts, it would be a while before any of the students arrived. She was set up in her father's classroom.

She was quite afraid for the year ahead, both for herself and her loved ones, Draco most of all. She couldn't bear the thought of all that he had to be going through. She didn't understand why the Dark Lord had wanted him either.

On a lighter note, however, Professor Snape would be letting Aria teach a few classes by herself and see how she did and if by the end of the year he felt she was qualified, she could become a professor.

Aria hadn't expected her life to take such a drastic turn, but she couldn't help but feel as though it was for the best. She couldn't imagine it going any other way. She felt a calling towards the path she had chosen.

Seeing Ron and Ginny would be hard and they would no doubt send her nasty glares and give her zero respect when she taught them, but she would overlook their behavior for obvious reasons.

Her new table was set, complete with Defence Against the Dark Arts textbooks from first year through to seventh, a quill and parchment, and her head girl badge from the previous year to remind her that she already had authority amongst these students and she deserved their respect.

There would be two Professor Snape's now.

And at that moment, she heard the express arrive and felt excitement speed through her body. This was it, it was her chance to prove to her father that she was capable of everything that he was and to everyone else that she wasn't just some violent Death Eater to be.

She found herself on the grounds a moment later, students were getting their luggage checked and having their names crossed off of the list.

Draco had sauntered past her without so much as a glance and shortly after, Harry wandered through the gates. He had a bloody nose and his shirt wasn't tucked in.

"Harry, what happened to your face?"

"Your filthy boyfriend, Malfoy. Do you know what he says about our mother?" Harry snapped accusingly and tilted his head backward to stop the blood from running.

"I'm sure there's a misunderstanding."

"What are you doing here anyway, Aria?"

"I'm a Professor now."

Harry's eyes widened slightly. "Going to pace around the corridors like your father and scare first years?" He spat and moved past her to set his bag down.

"Perhaps Draco broke your nose for a reason." Aria snapped. "We may be siblings, but you won't disrespect your professor like that. Understand?"

"What?"

"Do you understand?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yeah, whatever."

Aria sent the back of his head one last glare before huffing off to find Malfoy.

Perhaps both boys needed detention.