47

Chapter Forty-Seven

ARIA CHOSE TO sit next to Anna at the Slytherin table. The girl had released a sigh of relief upon realizing that they were friends again, and although she tried to ask Aria about her holiday, her attention was focused elsewhere. Aria's eyes were fixated on her father, not only because she hadn't seen him for such a long time, but because of the loathsome glare that was plastered on his face and directed to a new professor to his left.

Dumbledore began to speak once the choir had concluded their stupid number, about a handful of ridiculous things, but it wasn't until he introduced the new teacher did she finally pay attention. "I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor."

Oh, Aria realized. The glare her father had been sending him made sense now and while students around her applauded, she did not. She knew her father wanted that position and now some other (probably useless) professor had taken it from him.

Aria had the urge to run and comfort her father, but of course, she remained in her seat and silently observed him.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own, Rubeus Hagrid."

Aria had never been more pleased with her subject choices, which, thankfully, did not include Care of Magical Creatures.

"Finally," Dumbledore continued. "On a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban until such a time that Sirius Black is captured. The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving."

Aria felt her face pale. Was that what had happened on the train? Was that why she had felt so awful?

"But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light ."

With that as Dumbledore's final words, everyone began to tuck in, but Aria didn't feel hungry, she felt ill. She glanced at Draco, but it didn't appear as if he had been paying attention. In silence, Aria ate, staring at the headline of the paper that Anna read beside her, something about Sirius Black.

She knew that name, had heard her father swear about it one hundred times, and now he was the reason for the danger that threatened their lives.

Without so much as a word, Aria headed to her dorm and curled into her blankets, trying to escape the feeling of dread that still lingered over her.