95

Chapter Ninety-Five

"WELL, DUMBLEDORE'S GONE and your beloved Umbridge has taken over." George spat as he approached Aria by the Black Lake. "What the hell did you do that for?" He grabbed her and turned her so that they were facing.

He was angry, but Aria was angrier.

"How could you betray me like that? How could you betray Harry like that? Your own family."

"He made it very clear he doesn't want me."

"Oh, rubbish. You did this to yourself and I want to know why. What could have possibly possessed you to do something this drastic?"

Aria stared at him in disbelief. He had still not figured it out. "Are you mental? Don't pretend to be the victim in this."

"Excuse me?"

"I saw you snogging that bloody Gryffindor bitch at Hogsmeade!"

"What?"

"I came to apologize for being so stupid about Malfoy but when I found you in the Three Broomsticks you were rather occupied." Aria snapped and crossed her arms, glaring up at him. "So there. That's what possessed me to do such a thing. This is your fault."

"You actually think that I would cheat on you?"

Aria felt like they had had the exact same conversation before, about the exact same girl. "I saw you."

"She kissed me, Aria!"

"You kissed back!"

"I did not." He laughed incredulously. "I was too shocked to do anything and then I told her to leave because I was waiting for my girlfriend."

"For a Gryffindor, you sure do lie like a Slytherin."

"Believe what you want, but I'm not a cheater and I love you, not Katie. I don't know how many times I need to tell you that."

Aria felt a tear fall from her eye. She had once again jumped to conclusions and made a big mess of things. She knew she had screwed up this time, on a huge scale. She slipped George's ring off of her finger and handed it to him.

"What are you doing?"

"Take it. I know what happens next. You don't want to be with me anymore. It's okay." Aria felt the need to apologize, but didn't.

"You're so dramatic. I'm angry, I don't not love you."

The conversation was becoming more and more familiar. How many more times could they repeat the exact same words to each other? "This isn't working."

"Yes, it is."

"How is this working?"

"Because we love each other." He said after a moment and kissed her. "Look, me and Fred, we have something planned for right when we leave. I want you to come with me."

"What?"

"Let's just say we're leaving the school with a bang. And I want the girl I love to leave with me."

Aria nodded and wiped her tears away, allowing George to slip the ring right back onto her finger.

"See." He said and smiled. "It's lost without you. I'm lost without you."

"Shut up." She laughed and nudged him, a few more tears slipping from her eyes. "That was so cheesy."

"It worked, though."

Aria laughed again, but it was soon replaced by a frown. "The others won't forgive me."

"They don't have to."

"What about Harry?"

"He'll come around."

And so the following day, George and Fred did as they had promised and lit up a whole bunch of fireworks in the school, causing absolute chaos and leaving with Aria.

It was wonderful, she even managed to aim a firework right at Katie's face (without George noticing).

The only thing that bothered Aria was Draco's face as he watched her leave, but she pushed that to the back of her mind and closed her eyes, resting her head against George's back as they tore through the wind on his broom.