53

Chapter Fifty-Three

WHEN ARIA AND George got back after the long hours they had spent in Hogsmeade snogging there was an excited buzz around the hall-all the third years talking about their first trip to the village.

George rested his arm across Aria's back, leading her to the Gryffindor table where his friends had called him to. She didn't miss the sidelong glances that his friends sent her, one in particular from a brown-haired girl. Aria couldn't tell if the girl was glaring at George's arm around her or her Slytherin robes. Either way, Aria returned the glare tenfold.

However, there was only one Aria and about five lingering stares. She knew the longer she stayed, even while safely beside George, the less welcome she was.

"I'm just going to go see Anna." She excused herself, spotting her friend just arriving.

"I'll come with you." George offered.

"No, no, she's by the Slytherin table. I'll see you later."

She shrugged George's arm off from around her and moved towards the Slytherin table. Her path to her friend was blocked by three girls, their ties all a dazzling emerald like her own. She recognized Pansy and grimaced. "You're in my way."

"You're a blood-traitor." She spat and poked her finger into Aria's chest.

A wave of shock overcame Aria. Had a third-year just dared to disrespect her? She sure hoped not, for the third year's sake. Aria let out a low laugh, staring at the three girls and silently daring them to even try and touch her again.

"You took Gryffindors side over Draco's. It's despicable and we don't want you near us." Pansy spat, her friends agreeing. Aria rolled her eyes, of course, Malfoy had gone crying to his girlfriend. She doubted Pansy knew that mere hours ago, her boyfriend's tongue had been in Aria's mouth.

"Believe me, I don't want to be near any of you, and I won't." Aria pulled out her wand and aimed it at Pansy, a smile coming onto her face as she shot the spell at the third-year girl. "Diffindo!"

The spell Aria had chosen was unnecessary and she knew that. Something much milder could have been used, a spell that perhaps wouldn't lead to dire consequences such as this one would, but it was a curse that Aria had been dying to try out on a human, not an inanimate object like she normally would have. The results were quite satisfying.

A gaping wound, created by the slash from the curse appeared on Pansy's forearm, blood beginning to trickle onto the floor, and eventually, the four girls stood in a pool of red liquid. Pansy was screaming, one friend looked ready to faint and the other had the nerve (that despite everything, Aria had to admire) to call her evil.

A satisfied smirk came onto Aria's face as she shoved her wand back into her pocket. A hand circled her wrist, she was almost sure that it was George and had been about to snap at him but saw Professor Lupin instead. She frowned.

"That wasn't very wise of you, Miss Snape." He looked towards the girls. "Get Miss Parkinson to the hospital wing. Snape, come with me."

They walked past the Gryffindor table, Aria tailing the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher closely.

"I told you she was psychotic, George." The Gryffindor girl who had been glaring at her whispered as Aria passed.

Aria glared at her. "You're next!" She promised. Despite everything, Aria didn't dare to look at George's face. She had promised to try and stop such behavior, but some situations called for violence-could only be solved by violence.

"Miss Snape, please." Lupin sighed as they left the Great Hall. He took her to his classroom and made her sit in the same place as she did when he had interrogated her about her mother all those weeks ago.

"Aren't you worried my father's going to come in again?" She asked, examining the dirt beneath her nails.

"I'm counting on it, actually." He settled down in his chair. "But that's all right, I won't be so... demanding this time. I apologize, again."

"Yeah, it's fine. Again."

"Tell me, why did you do that?" He examined Aria. "If not for your father I'm sure you would have lost your position here at Hogwarts a long time ago. I've heard many rumors, Miss Snape." He answered her unasked question with his final statement.

"Did you hear what that bitch said to me?" Lupin narrowed his eyes at her choice of words. She mumbled an apology. "If anything, I went easy on her. She deserved far worse, especially for a third year. I might shrink that awfully big mouth of hers next time."

"There will not be a next time."

"If she stops angering me. If everybody stops angering me. It's not my fault that they're annoying."

"You should learn to control your anger. I can help you."

"I don't need your help, Professor and besides I'm sure my dad wouldn't be very happy with that arrangement." Aria reached for a quill on his desk. It was a peacock feather. It was so pretty.

He sighed. Aria couldn't decide whether it was out of frustration or him surrendering. "That feather brings out your eyes." Lupin stated, "You have your mother's eyes if I'm not mistaken?"

"Well, dads are brown, so yes. I guess they are my mother's eyes." Aria had never really considered that, but now she had, a warm feeling flooded into her chest. It was comforting.

Lupin nodded, seemingly deep in thought.

"Can I go now? I really should be getting back-"

"Not so fast." Lupin stopped her, standing up. "I have to give you detention."

"For what?" Aria snapped, ready to run out.

"You know very well for what." He scribbled something on a small sheet of parchment and handed it to her, "Just so you don't forget. My classroom, every day for the next week."

She groaned, "That's not fair!"

"That's final. Now leave."

She stormed out of the classroom and saw her father skulking around by the door.

This was her chance, she decided, to finally speak with him and make things right. She was not going to mess this up.