Chapter 9: "Cards Up His Sleeve"

May 5th, 2011, 10:02 am

Ben's pov

My eyes fluttered open, as a sharp pain set in the back of my neck. I groaned in pain as I rolled over to my side, and off my bed. I slammed my head against my night desk, as the rest on my body fell to the ground. "Son of a bitch." I muttered, rubbing my head, where the desk had collided with it. I looked around, tiredly, and noticed that someone was in my room.

I shot myself up, and the occurrences of last night hit me like a train wreak. The Puppeteer slept soundlessly on my beanbag that sat in the edge of my room. I looked around as I stood up, stretching. The popping in my back and arms were loud, and I tripped over my Wii controller. Thankfully, I didn't slam my head against the door knob, and I left my room, without hurry.

The halls were empty with the commotion being downstairs when a voice filled the halls. I felt body wanting to shrivel back in on it's self, with my face cringing at the voice. "Benjamin." Slender said. I slowly turned to face him, with a forced smile on.

"I see you haven't gotten dressed." He said, crossed arms and everything. I looked over at myself, as I was still standing in my boxer shorts, with alien printing, and white t-shirt. I scratched the back of my neck, with a cringing smile. "About last night.. I didn't know what I was thinking.. can we just... I don't know.." I tried to explain. He hushed me up before I could say anything.

"Ben. I know what you heard. Let's talk more about this in my office." He said, as he opens the door to his office. As I walked in, his door slammed behind me, and he looked down at me. "Ben, believe me when I say, that you are not wrong when you say something is going on. I know what you heard, and I know what you saw, but we can not jump the gun on this. From what we know, we can not assume that what ever is inside the doll is evil. We just have to wait." He said, in a very monotone voice.

I felt confused and angry and embarrassed at the same time. "So you know that I am not crazy for thinking that it was the doll singing? And you still let everyone think that I am insane? And what if your wrong, what if that doll is Zalgo's? What if he is trying to take Sally?!" I yelled. I didn't care if anyone heard from the other side of the door. All I wanted to know is why he did these things. He sat in front of me, with his hands folded.

"I understand your concern, but it is not from Zalgo. Everything that Zalgo does, has a trace on it. When he sends something, it has 'markings' on it. Whether it be his smell of rotten meat, or an etching on it's back or a strange look in it's eyes, it will always have something from him. When I examined the doll, there was nothing on it. No smell, no strange look, nothing. Believe me. It is not from him." He answered back at me. I huffed angrily.

"So.. what is it?" I asked, still a little pissed off. He sighed in a sad way and didn't say anything. It was quiet for a few minutes, and I was squirming about on my seat. I stood up and walked over to the door, ready to leave, when he said something. "Be careful with it. It may not be Zalgo's doing, but that does not mean that it is safe." He warned.

I nodded my head, and left. I walked over to the stair case and I heard laughter and talking. I jumped over some steps, and pored myself some coffee. "Do you think the doll made the coffee too?" Jane asked, in her classy, 'I'm a bitch' tone. I ignored her and sat next to Jeff, who ate pancakes with bacon and jelly.

I remembered the look on his face, and I couldn't help but feel like an idiot. Jeff turned to me, and didn't mention anything about it. "Do you want to play video games later?" He asked, with a smile. A real smile, not the one that he carved, this one was honest. I nodded my head with a thankful smirk and drank the coffee.