Chapter 23: "Eric Turner"

May 10th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Eric's Pov

My watch beeped loudly, reminding me that my shift was coming to a close. I waited for my co-worker to arrive, for her night shift. It was a quiet night, at the gas station, with the occasional customer coming in and getting what they need. Nothing very diffrent from the usual nights. I sat on top of the counter, eating a bag of chips, as I watched the surveillance footage.

I gagged slightly, the chips tasting like absolute shit. I spit it back into the bag, and threw it out, feeling bad for the previous customer who bought these things. I looked back at the TV, seeing Angela walking out of her car and heading inside. The bell above the door chimed, and Angela's cheering voice erupted the silence. "I'm back!". She threw her arms up, lifting her shirt in the process.

"About time. Its 9:05. I was supposed to leave at 8:45." I laughed, as I grabbed my jacket. She put her hands on her hips, and wined. "Aw, come on Eric. Why don't you stay a little bit? Who knows, maybe I can give you a special birthday gift." She said, stretching the words and lingering on the word, 'special'. I couldn't help but laugh again. "yeah, yeah, keep up with your flirting. Never fails to make my day." She sat down, picking up a magazine.

She told her eyes. "well, alright. Offer still stands. Oh, and be careful. The roads are slippery." She warned, not breaking eye contact with me. I nodded my head, and left from the gas station. Pulling at my keys, I unlocked the door, and stepped inside, wiping my shoes from the puddle on the ground. I looked back at the gas station, seeing the flickering lights. Angela gave me a wave of goodbye from the window, and I pulled away from the parking spot, giving her one as well.

10:23 pm

I drove home with my radio blasting in my car, as I was struggling to stay awake. I bobbed my head to the song, even going on to sing the lyrics.

" I was fine, just a guy living on my own,~
Waiting for the sky to fall.
Then you called and changed it all, doll."

The highway was so dark, with my headlights leading the way. I took notice of everything surrounding the route I was taking. The railing, the water, and the trees filling the right side of the road. The left side, however, didn't have any trees, and only a wooden railing that would probably snap in the next storm. I shut my eyes, still nodding my head with the beat and mouthing.

I gripped the steering wheel, holding it tighter. I stopped mouthing and I slowed down the bobbing of my head, to an eventual stop. The music faded into the back of my head and before I knew it, I had fallen asleep.

" Velvet lips and the eyes to pull me in.
We both know you'd already win.
Mm, your original s- "

A burst of static in my radio woke me from my mini nap. I shot up in my seat, almost ready to turn violently, when I looked up at the road, seeing something horrifying. In the middle of the road, stood a tall man. No, it wasn't a man. It wasn't even human.

What ever it was, it began sprinting to my car, its legs taking giant steps. I swerved my car to the left, and I would have been fine... if the roads were dry. The roads were covered in water and swerving my car forced it spin out of my control. I gripped the steering wheel, seeing the tall man watching the car slide. The motions f the car began to make me sick, and I felt my lunch come up.

The spinning car stopped spinning, and instead, collided with the railing. "FUCK!" I yelled as it broke through. I felt the car flying, and it felt like I was in some horror movie. I felt my body rise up, and saw everything slowing down. It felt almost... majestic, on till gravity started to do its job and the car began rolling straight down the a hill. The car had rolled over, and my seat jumped with it. My head slammed against the roof, and I blacked out.