Chapter 22: "Pretty faces"

May 9th, 8:25 am, 2011

(Y/N)'s pov

My eyes opened slowly as the sun shined into the room, momentarily blinding me. I felt dazed, and jumped when I realized that I wasn't in my bedroom. I quickly looked around, only to be hit with the memory that I was in Sally's room. 'Right. I never got home. shit...To not remember that is just pathetic.' I shook my head at these thoughts, trying to shift my weight off the bed. Sally had me trapped in her grip, making sure I couldn't fall off. I wiggled and squirmed out of her arms, hearing her grumble and turning over. I laughed quietly, stepping down from the bed.

I remembered how (S/N) used to do that so many times, as we were kids. We never lived in a nice home, really only meant for 2 people. But we made it work, and it did... Till the Great Depression hit.

I cringed thinking back at what happened when we found out Father had lost his job. He was so angry, is what I remember about him.

Always angry, angry when Mother tried to raise money, by begging on the streets, angry at how, when I got my first job, I made more money then he did. He spent his days looking for work, constantly and his nights drunk and arguing with Mother. I had to take care of (S/N). teach her, make lunch for her, put her to sleep, every night. And every night, we always ended up sleeping on the bed in my room. and she would hold me tightly, as if I would disappear is she didn't.

I rubbed my face. The tiredness still hung dear to me, as I put on a fresh new shirt and pants. It was the suit that I first wore upon arriving. It was practically new, as it had been washed, dried and stitched back in place. I was quick, sliding my feet into the black dance shoes. My hand past though my (H/T) hair, using it as a brush.

I stepped out of the room, hearing chattering in the halls. I stuck towards the walls, seeing Tobias run past me, giggling like a little girl. Jeffrey chased him down, cursing all the words that you could think of. Many of which I hadn't even heard of. I continued on, facing my way into the kitchen. Once I stepped inside, I was met with a quiet 'Shh!'. Timothy looked on at me, begging me to be quiet.

"What happened?" I whispered, getting closer to him. I pulled a seat, doing everything I could to not make a sound. Across the table, I could see Brian with his head in his arms. His sweater hugged his body, with his hood being messily placed on his head. "Brian's sleeping." Timothy concluded. I looked over Timothy once more, noticing he was out of his usual clothing.

Instead, he wore a plaid red button up, with very 'casual' pants. "He hadn't slept in 2 weeks. We were going to go out, but I don't wanna wake him up." He continued. My mouth made an 'oh' shape, as I looked on to Brian. He gave slow breaths, twitching ever so slightly. "How long will he sleep?" I muttered, leaning in here Timothy replied. He slowly stood to his feet, still leaning to the table.

"I don't know. Just don't wake him up, maybe he will finally get some sleep." Timothy pulled away, digging into his pocket. I watched him light a cigarette, and he leaned in one last time. "Call me if something goes wrong." I could smell the disapproving smell of coffee and cigarette in his breath. His voice was in a deep whisper, that, in a strange turn of events made my spine shiver. I nodded. He left me in the silence with Brian, the soft snores filled the room.

I fidgeted in my seat, shifting around. Every now and then, someone would enter the room, get what they needed, and leave silently. I had never seen them be this quiet, and realization of them sunk in. 'They really do care.' I felt a tap on my shoulder. When I turned to face the person, I was met with Jonathan, with a nervous smile. I stood up from the table, and walked out of the kitchen, and he followed.