Chapter Thirty-Seven

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 37– They have online chatrooms for that:

"You need to tell someone, Harlow. He knows your name!"

"Will you calm down, for fucks sake?" I huff, sitting at the edge of my bed as Nine paces before me with worry. "It's not that much of a big deal, Nine."

"Not a big deal?" She repeats in exasperation, stopping in her tracks to gape at me. "Not a big deal! Harlow, his name was on the paper that Ricky gave you. You do know what that means, right?"

I sigh out a small breath and look at the figment of my imagination that is in the form of Nine. She has an eyebrow cocked at me as she waits for a reply. I drag my tongue across my top lip before biting down on my bottom one in thought. She huffs.

"Fine, if you're not going to answer, I will. It means, Kody Lawrence, that the same people that put Lilah in the hospital can now put a face to your name. Do you think that's a good thing? Because I don't."

"Lose the attitude, Nine," I roll my eyes. "You're being overdramatic."

"Uh, I actually feel like I'm being the appropriate amount of dramatic, to be honest," she denies as she slumps down to the floor, her legs crossed and back straight, arms folded across her chest. "These people are dangerous, Harlow. And I know you know that too, because if not you would've gone straight after Mac but you didn't." I relax my shoulders and unclench my jaw as I watch her speak, her voice somewhat calming despite her angry tone. "And why didn't you? Because you knew that if you did, you'd have a much bigger problem on your hands."

"I'm not scared of them," I tell her as I pull off my jumper and chuck it next to me on the bed, beginning to get used to the warmth of the house. Jace is really running up our gas bill.

"I'm not saying you're scared, I'm saying you're smart. But as smart as you are, Harlow, you've dug yourself a massive hole," she stresses with vigour. "And I don't see you getting yourself out of this alone."

        "Well who do you expect me to tell, Nine?" I give her a look, and just as she's going to reply with the one name I know is about to come out of her mouth, I cut her off. "Under no circumstances am I telling Jace, so don't even think about it," I tell her bluntly, causing her to purse her chapped lips. "Exactly."

        We sit in silence for a few moments, both of us lost in our own thoughts, though Nine's can't be too different from mine. I'm halfway through thinking about ordering some pizza when she finally speaks up, her voice tender.

       "Ricky?"

        I look at her as I near my desk to pick up my phone. "I'm not telling that smooth-brained, good for nothing, annoying—."

        "No, Harlow. I mean..." she hesitates as she chews on her bottom lip, or at least what's left of it. Losing patience with her, I snap at her to spit it out. "Do you think— I don't know... Do you think that, maybe, Ricky had something to do with them knowing your name?"

        Immediately, I shake my head, not even entertaining the thought. "No, I was just with him, I would've known if something was up. And besides, he isn't the only one that knows me, Nine. I'm almost one-hundred percent positive Mac's put a hit out on me."

        "Don't say stuff like that," she chastises with a frown. I shrug my shoulders, unbothered. "Do you trust him? Ricky, I mean," she clarifies, leaning forward like her life depends on my answer.