Chapter Twenty-Four

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 24– Just my fucking luck:

Humans are weird.

Their way of life is just... strange. Some of the things they do for fun, some of the things they say for absolutely no reason at all, is odd.

Humans are odd.

I know I am technically human, but I never really grew up with that title. I was a subject, and subjects were disposable. No rights, no worth. At least that's what they wanted us to believe. But really, us subjects were the most important part of whatever fucked up plan the facility was built on.

However, despite being more subject than human, I've realised we all have something in common— secrets.

The world is built on dishonesty and withheld information. Everyone, no matter who they are or what their age, has a secret despite their differences.

We all have one small piece of information about ourselves that we don't speak about to others; we all have something to hide.

In my opinion, although bias because I have a lot of secrets, it's our right to keep some things to ourselves, hidden from the rest of the world and locked away in the back of our minds. I agree with keeping secrets, and I don't hold any more anger than I usually do to the people that keep them. But they are one of the reasons I've always been wary of people. Some secrets, although no one else's business but the person who holds it, can affect everybody if they're close enough.

And if I don't let my own secrets destroy me, why would I allow somebody else's to?

But, if there was one person in my whole however-many-years of existence that I've met that I believe didn't have anything to hide, I would have guessed it to be Zeke Daniels.

Not only does he talk about anything and everything, no topic in the world seeming off-limits to him, he also wears his feelings on his face for all to see. One would think if there was something troubling him, something weighing heavy on his mind, then everyone would be able to tell.

Especially those who pay attention.

I'm not a people person, which wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's met me, but I can figure them out quite quickly. I may not know every single detail about a person, and every piece of information I'm able to gather depends on each individual and their telltales, but more often than not I can get a pretty good first-reading. Though, I never really care to look for anything other than to find out if they could potentially be a threat to me.

So, when I met Zeke Daniels, I thought he was the average American boy. I didn't perceive him as a threat, just annoying, so I didn't pay further attention to him and the behaviours he displayed.

I knew his life wasn't perfect, but that's because no life is, though I guessed it would've been pretty close to it.

The more time I spent around Zeke as the days went by and watched the way he acted and listened to the way he spoke and what he spoke about, I started to believe I was right-- he really was average with an almost perfect life. He talked freely about everything, laughed all the time, smiled at everyone, and offered his kindness without wanting anything in return. His mouth was so fucking big I thought that, if he had any secrets, he wouldn't be able to help but share them.

I'm rarely wrong when it comes to observing people and drawing up a conclusion.

But this time had clearly been different... and I only come to realise this when I see Zeke sitting in the school parking lot after hours, alone and crying as he sits on the floor hugging his knees to his chest.