Chapter Twenty-Seven

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 27– Your little Freckles:

The dark room is cold and smells horrid, no light present whatsoever. I look around pointlessly despite not being able to see anything but a deep abyss of nothing. My heart hammers loudly in my chest, my throat feeling tight and hands shaking. There was always something about the dark that I didn't quite like— it made the voices scarier.

I try to move forward for whatever reason but the chains around my small ankles don't allow much movement, and the moment I put pressure on my leg I almost collapse from the pain. I look down, forgetting I can't see anything in the darkness, and try to see what's causing the discomfort but it's fruitless.

        Recovering from the sudden shock of agony, I attempt to tug my ankle free but it's off no use. The chains had never broken before, and they probably wouldn't start now.

Instead of finding ways to escape, knowing it's useless, I try to remember what it was that I did to deserve punishment in the first place, but my mind draws a blank. I'm not sure how long I've been in this room for, but I know that whatever happened prior to this has been erased from my memory.

The last thing I can recall is being in my cell after one of those stupid experiments. I don't know what it was that they gave me, but I know that my body didn't react well to it if the pain I had experienced was anything to go by. Everything after that though is a mystery.

I slowly stagger backwards, the chain dragging across the cold cement floor creating an awful sound with every limp. I keep walking until I feel the bare wall behind my hurting back. I'd clearly suffered another punishment, the wounds fresh and bleeding, but that is also something I can't quite remember.

I carefully lower myself to the ground and pull my legs into my chest, my hands finding my ankles and dragging themselves upwards, over the protruding bone of my shin and resting on my knees. Whatever it was that I did must have been especially bad if they'd gone through this amount of trouble to punish me. With injuries like mine I'll be out of training for a while, something I didn't think they could afford.

I soon lower my head to my bent arms, my wrist broken and my elbow feeling shattered. I close my eyes tight and bite down on my lip. Out of all the pain my body's going through the darkness bothers me the most. But I tell myself that if I close my eyes tight enough, then I can control the darkness; it's my choice. If I close my eyes tight enough, then I can pretend I'm in a room with lights everywhere and it's not so scary.

If I close my eyes tight enough, I can pretend I'm not alone.

*

My phone rings loudly from its place on my desk, capturing my wandering attention. The vibration makes the device move around the surface briefly before it finally shuts up, however it doesn't take long for the annoying shrill to start back up again.

I know who it is by the ringtone, each person in my phone being assigned to their own sound. I've been ignoring Lilah for the past two weeks now, knowing she's out of the hospital and back in the comfort of her own house. She calls often, too often, but I have yet to answer. I don't want to.

Jace chastises me almost every day about it, displeased that I'm offending his little redhead. He's strangely attached to the hazel-eyed girl but I have yet to figure out why. I can't tell if he wants her the same way Gray seems to, or if there's something else I'm missing, though I haven't a clue what that could be.