Chapter Seventeen

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 17– This is stupid:

        "Slow down, kid."

        "Shut up."

        "Seriously, slow down."

        "Seriously, shut the fuck up."

        "Are you really mad I didn't let you kill someone?" Jace scoffs in disbelief as he braces his arms against the dashboard. Fucking dramatic.

        My grip tightens on the steering wheel, and just to piss him off, I drive faster, ignoring his protests. "Are you fucking kidding me, Jace? You saw his wrist, you saw the mark, you know where the fuck they came from!" I exclaim in anger. He didn't even let me ask them questions or get information out of them before he was dragging me away.

        "I know, R.A. But that doesn't mean you get to kill them just because of where they came from. If we're going by that logic, you should kill me, too."

        I glance over at him with a scowl. "Don't fucking tempt me, because right now I would."

        He sighs frustratedly. "Think about this rationally, okay? Say I had let you kill them... then what? We either had to walk out of there carrying two dead bodies without looking suspicious. Or, we would've had to leave the bodies there for them people to find which would essentially start a fucking war," he finishes off with a shake of his head. "We done the right thing."

        "Right, okay. So because you wanted to keep your morals in check and prove a fucking point of what a good fucking person you are, you've also let two people, who could run back to the facility and tell them exactly where the fuck we are, live. Congratulations on fucking us both over."

        Leaning back in his seat, Jace runs a hand through his hair. "Look, either option would have done us no good. I just went for the one that works more in our favour— Let me finish," he scolds as he sees me getting ready to argue his point. "They didn't seem to recognise us, just like we didn't recognise them, so chances are they don't know we were apart of that shit. But... if they were to inform the facility of our whereabouts, we still have enough time to leave and get away from here before they can get to us. Had we of killed them, Mac and whoever is above him would've gotten to us much quicker than the facility ever could."

        "I know that, Jace, I'm not a fucking idiot. Killing them would've caused more problems, but—." I cut myself off abruptly, not exactly knowing what I was going to say, but also having a slight idea of what my subconscious was just about to spill and not wanting to admit it out loud.

        Jace looks confused. "But what? If you knew it would've been a bad idea, why would you want to do it? I don't understand..." he trails off, and I'm thankful in this moment that Jace isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He's smart, sure, but he can sometimes be a little oblivious— like now.

        "Nothing, Jace. Just drop it," I order through gritted teeth, trying to avoid his piercing stare.

        "I don't— Are you seriously this obsessed with killing people that you'd rather start a whole big mess than just leave t— ...oh," he suddenly mumbles, causing me to glance over at him briefly, my eyebrows furrowed. "You don't want to leave, do you?"