Chapter Twenty One

*Not edited*Not proofread*

Chapter 21– I really fucked up, didn't I?

"Kody?"

        His eyes are trained solely on me as he looks at me in confusion, but thankfully that's all. He has yet to see the dead body behind me, or my bleeding arm, so he's most likely just wondering why I'm standing in the middle of a park on my own.

        He goes to come closer but I beat him to it by moving forward. If he gets any nearer than he is, he'll see the lifeless guard that's currently being obstructed by the darkness of the park.

        "What are you doing here?" He peers down at me with his questioning blue eyes, his blonde mop of hair on his forehead. He goes to look over my shoulder at where I was standing before, but I pull his head to me with my good arm, keeping the other one behind me, knowing my fingers are dripping with blood.

        "I was just on my way back," I answer casually, despite being anything but casual. My heart is pounding in my chest as I find myself in one of the most uncomfortable situations I've been in in a while— and that's including a meeting with Mac, a car ride with Ricky, and a bedroom with a crying Lilah.

        Yes, this definitely takes the muffin.

"Is everything okay?" He frowns down at me with what I can only describe as concern on his bruised face. I nod my head, trying to keep his focus on me. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. What are you doing here?" I ask, already knowing the answer. I just need to keep him distracted without looking suspicious.

"I actually came to look for you," he admits. "I went to your place first, but Jace told me you was still at work. It's a bit late for that, though, isn't it?"

"Uh yeah, I stayed a bit later to get a car finished," I tell the half-truth.

Dakota says nothing for a few agonising seconds as his eyes stare into my own. I have a good mind to look away but I can't risk having him look elsewhere and discovering the not-so-alive body behind me. "Are you sure everything's okay? You seem... nervous."

"I'm not," I suddenly snap at him, causing him to raise an eyebrow at me. "I'm not," I say again, calmer this time. "Park's just weird me out, we should go." I grab his arm and pull him around so now his back is facing the sight I don't want him to see. As I try to tug him along to start walking, he stays grounded to his spot.

"You're acting really weird right now," he mumbles, scanning me from head to toe, his eyes lingering on the arm behind my back. "What are you hiding?"

I grit my teeth. Why does he choose now to be stubborn? "Nothing. Can we go?"

"Not until you show me what's behind your back," he refuses, crossing his strong arms over his muscled chest. I wedge my tongue in between my back teeth in annoyance. Fuck this guy. "Well?"

"I'm not hiding anything, Kota, you're just being stupid," I deny, shaking my head at him. "Let's go."

"Kody," he warns, the same look of anger coating his features again. "What's going on? What don't you want me to see?"