Chapter Forty-One

*Not edited* Not proofread*

Chapter 41– "You're so good for my ego":

He kidnapped me.

I told him to take me the fuck home, but he just carried on driving, ignoring my grumbles of protest. The music played at a low hum, barely even audible, so the atmosphere in the car was ear-splitting. He had given up acknowledging all the insults and death threats I threw at him and, unless I wanted to be in another car accident with him, getting physical wasn't an option. So I had to just sit and let it happen.

Dakota had unfortunately gotten a call from Grey a while after our small disagreement, who invited Dakota to the diner with Lilah, Zeke and Landon. Of course they invited me, too, but I declined with a clear, simple "no".

Dakota clearly disagreed with me on that, too, though.

Because here I am.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in weeks." Landon smiles as I take a seat in the booth next to Dakota, his brown eyes watching me sit down. He wears his leather jacket despite being in doors, his eye bruised and lip split. I wonder as I look at him if he'd gotten into another fight at school.

"We haven't, that's why," Gray replies, saving me the effort of doing it myself. I roll my eyes at them, folding my arms on the table which is cramped with drinks, napkins and elbows. Lilah sits next to Gray, who sits next to Dakota, in the middle of the booth; while Zeke occupies the space to her right and Landon sits next to him on the edge opposite me. She smiled at me as I sat down and told me she'd ordered me a coke, but that's about it. She hasn't said another word since.

"Sucks to be you losers, I got to see her earlier," Zeke cheeses smugly, his teeth clamped down on the paper straw between his teeth. He meets my eye and sends me a small wink, his expression playful. I feel like I haven't really seen him in ages, although it was not too long ago I was with him.

"You didn't mention you'd seen Zeke," Dakota points out, though he doesn't sound accusing like his words would suggest, just casually curious. Nosey.

I look back at him, shrugging. "I also didn't mention what I had for lunch today." I didn't have anything for lunch, but that's besides the point. "Going to ask me about that as well?" He smiles at my sarcasm, taking my bluntness well, as usual. "Didn't think so."

Zeke giggles at our interaction. "You two are so cute."

"Agreed," Lilah pipes in, Gray's arm slung over her thin shoulders. She's looking better than she was when I last saw her, but her face is a little sunken, her frame that little bit slimmer. "As acquaintances, of course," she adds with what can only be described as a cheeky grin. From what I've heard from Jace, she hasn't been out much lately, locking herself in her room, but she seems much better now... although I thought that last time and then she tried jumping to her death.

"Have I missed something?" I look between pretty-boy and the little ginger, eyebrows furrowed as I purposefully change the topic so it's isn't on me. "Didn't you two hate each other because you were sleeping with Gobby?"

Lilah tenses uncomfortably, I see it, and Grey must feel it as he gives me a disapproving frown. "Seriously, Kody? Couldn't go five minutes without a dig?"

I frown back. "It wasn't a dig, cabron. It was a fucking question. If the topic of you and that stupid bitch makes you so uncomfortable to talk about, then maybe you shouldn't have done it in the first place."

"Or you could just let it go and not mention it," he retorts.

Before I can reply, Zeke starts making a weird noise that resembles an eagles cry and we all turn to look at him. He slowly lowers his voice and the sound fades out until he's sitting silently and looking between us all. Then, he shakes his head.