Chapter One

*Not edited*Not proofread*

Chapter 1— Now what?:

        As the seasons get ready to change, the wind becomes much more bitter as the air around Raven Hollow gets colder. The sun sets much quicker, the sky darkens much earlier.

        But the flashing lights of the fair makes the world seem a little brighter, the sounds make it seem that much livelier and chaotic.

        As I sit and listen to the noises around me, watch the people who pass by smile and laugh, scream and shout, I wonder how I got to this moment. I wonder how I went from living in a cell to being here; at a fair far away from the facility, where I'm not tortured, I'm not chained up, I'm not locked away. I'm just here, and I'm free.

Really fucking free.

        "Seriously, Kody?" Landon snaps me out of my daze as I munch on a pack of chips, sitting on the picnic bench. "Get up and come look for Lilah with us."

        I continue to chew the Doritos as I roll my eyes. "I'm sure she's around here somewhere."

        "She went to the bathroom and she's been gone almost an hour," he exasperates. It's not his tone that has me slightly anxious though, it's the sheer worry on his face. "Something's wrong, Kody."

        Sighing, I push myself off the bench and wipe my crumby hands on my jeans. "Where's the shitbag?" I wonder, my eyes scanning the surrounding area.

        "His name's Benny," Landon furrows his eyebrows in a frown. "But Zeke's taken him on some rides."

        I nod, "Does he know anything?" Landon shakes his head. "Okay. Where are the toilets?" I ask, getting to the point.

        "There's quite a few around, I don't know what ones she went to."

        "Well obviously the one's closest to where we're sitting," I tell him matter-of-factly. "She probably saw them on the way to get food and went to the ones she knew the location of. So all we have to do is walk back in the direction we came in, see if we can see any toilets or signs, and if we can, then they're most likely the ones she went to."

        "Jace is checking the toilets now," Landon walks after me as I leave to go look for Lilah. A total inconvenience if anyone were to ask me.

        "She's probably not in them," I roll my eyes. "But at least from there I can figure out where to go next."

        We walk back in the direction we came in, in silence, retracing our steps until I notice a sign pinned on one of the rides that points into the direction of the portable toilets. I look around for any other signs, but they all point in the same direction, so clearly the toilets they point to are the closets ones in this area.

        Once we reach the porta-loo's — a stupid fucking name in my opinion— I look around. They're in a more secluded area, a little bit behind the rides and food-stands which is expected. You can't really see much from here, apart from the back of some rides and stands and the opening of the public woods that are situated behind the field. It's not a very big forest-area, and most people only go into the woods to walk their dogs or jog around the perimeter of it. I've only been there once and it was to walk Rey. He wasn't a fan, so I didn't take him again.