24 | Rollercoaster

Trying to do faster updates bc I wanna finish editing this book done so I can move on to publishing new books! Hope y'all enjoy!

•••

Headlines were everywhere about him.

GOD OF LIES, LOKI LAUFEYSON, PROVEN NOT GUILTY FOR HIS CRIMES

LOKI RELEASED ON THE STREETS, ARE WE SAFE?

ALIEN GOD THAT DESTROYED NYC YEARS AGO- CHARGES DISMISSED

THOR'S BROTHER - IS HE ACTUALLY INNOCENT?

LOKI CLAIMS BRAIN WASHING - WAS THANOS REALLY RESPONSIBLE?

Some articles were hopeful, most were horrible, but that was understandable. It was difficult to share the whole story with the world, and even if they could, not everyone believed it. The team did their best to hide news reports and articles about Loki from him, but they could only do so much.

Loki's eyes flickered across the screen as he watched the angry protestors in the streets, wanting him to be locked up forever.

"He thinks he gets to live in peace? After everything he's done?" The camera zoomed in on a woman, screaming to the crowd.

He stared at the screen with desperate eyes as the camera cut to a different man, this time he yelled at the camera, as if he were talking to Loki directly. "And you say you're sorry!? So are the people you killed who didn't get to live their lives and the families you stole them from! My daughter was one of them!"

"I - I know." Loki said to no one, really. Gosh, he knew. The shame overwhelmed him, panicky and twisting like it always did, rising in his throat like vomit. His hands shook. He couldn't make that better. He could never make that better. "I know."

Summer nearly gasped when she found him on the couch, staring blankly at the tv. She snatched the remote off the table and immediately turned the tv off. She wasn't exactly sure what to do next, she hadn't talked to Loki much since his return. She kept her distance from him, but she's never seen him so.... broken.

"Loki?" She spoke softly with the best brave face she could muster. With a gentle hand on his shoulder, she asked, "can I do anything for you?"

He seemed to tap back into reality at her touch. Slowly, he turned to face her with red, blotchy eyes staring back at her. "What did you say?" He asked, slowly, like he couldn't believe the words that just came out of her mouth.

"Can I do anything for you? Is there anyway I can help you?" She repeated, hesitantly, suddenly uncomfortable under his gaze.

He eyed her. "You want to help me?"

"If I can?" She said in more of a question, confused why he was confused.

He noticed the way she shuddered. She was scared of him still, yet here she was, putting that aside to help him. It broke him.

"Why?" He exasperated and swallowed thickly. When she didn't know what to say, he continued, "why? After everything I've done to you?"

"Because.... at the end of the day, it wasn't you." She answered. Has she forgiven him completely? No. He's taken years of her life from her and changed it completely. She had to constantly remind herself it wasn't him and learn to forgive him little by little everyday. "You shouldn't watch those things, y'know."