33 | Goodbye

Not me struggling for days to write this chapter, then suddenly making it almost 3,000 words.... 😂

Please don't forget to comment, follow, and vote!!

"Hey, can I come in? I wanted to say goodnight."

Summer had already said her, "goodnights," which were actually goodbyes, to her two other kids. Siv was the last one. Freyja was clueless and Landon was suspicious, but didn't voice it.

With a yawn, Siv nodded and sat up in her bed. She lazily embraced her mom, on the verge of sleep. "Night, mom."

"Goodnight, Siv." Summer tensed when her own voice cracked.

Concerned, Siv pulled back. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. My throat's just sore for some reason." Probably from all the screaming she did earlier. "Hey, your dad talked about going on a trip in the morning. Just something to get out of the house. What do you think?"

Her eyes brightened at the thought. "Yeah, that sounds fun!" She exclaimed with a grin. Her mom attempted to return the smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes, making her expression falter. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I might be coming down with a cold, I'm not sure." She lied, trying to brush it off. "Depending on how I feel in the morning will determine if I go with you guys. I know you'll have a great time, regardless."

No. Something wasn't right. "What... what should I pack? How long am I going for?"

Summer sucked in a sharp breath, "well, you shouldn't be gone too long. Pack whatever you see fit." Tears gathered in her eyes.

Siv knew in that moment. She knew this was goodbye. "And you'll be safe- okay here? By yourself?" Her throat tightened, fighting back a sob that threatened to escape. They had to talk in code, not knowing who could be listening.

"You don't have to worry about me." She reassured her daughter. The truth is, Summer would always be "safe." She never had to question whether or not she'd live to see the next day. Loki would never kill her. She was sure of that, but the kids didn't know that. They didn't know they were the only ones in danger of losing their lives.

"You promise?" She whispered.

Summer couldn't keep back her quiet sob. "I promise." She gathered her daughter into her arms in a tight embrace, knowing this was the last time she'd be able to.

They held each other for what felt like hours, holding onto every last conversation and memory they could make with each other. All too soon, the sun began to rise and they knew their time would soon be up.

Summer's trembling hands cupped her daughter's face, her thumb catching one of her tears. "Please don't worry about me. I'll be safe with Loki. He'd never hurt me.... And don't look for me. As much as it hurts all of us, the only way we'll all stay safe, is for us to stay separate." She whispered as quietly as she could. "I love you, Siv." She croaked and hugged her one last time.

When she finally got the courage to leave, she ran. She ran past guards and maids, not caring who she ran over in the process. She threw open her bedroom doors and collapsed to the floor in a heap.

It was then she realized she'd miss out on everything. She'd never see them grow into adults. She'd never see them go to prom, and tease them about their date.
She'd never see them in a cap and gown, ready to graduate.

She was always nervous of when they'd be old enough to drive, date, move out, etc.... but now, nothing sounded better than having those anxieties. She'd never meet their spouses, pick out dresses with her daughters, or even attend their wedding. She'd never comfort her kids when they become parents. She'd never meet her grandkids.