06 | Safe

Are you a rereader or a new reader? 🤔

Early update bc I feel like it lol!

Please don't forget to comment and vote!!

"Your hands are scarred from murder, and yet I trust them completely."

~previous chapter~

Downstairs, the guards dragged the body away, another grabbed the decapitated head. Loki shuffled over to the sink and did his best to clean off the blood before his actual meeting.

There was a traitor among him. Someone was plotting against him in the midst of his people, and he'd be damned if he didn't find who

His actions were stopped as soon as he heard a gut wrenching scream come from upstairs.

It was Summer.

That leads Summer to where she was now. Once again, on the run. But this time, not away from Loki. A guard snuck into her room and tried to choke her. She managed to twist out of his grip and run out the door and down two flights of stairs, into the basement.

Her body lurched into the darkness before twisting to lock the door behind her. Her body slid to the cold cement floor as she shivered in fear, the pounding of his footsteps made her feel so helpless. Through her tears, she could see someone's shadow coming through the small crack at the bottom of the door, making the little hairs on her body stand up.

"Darling, where are you?" Loki called, his footsteps outside the basement door.

She was thankful it wasn't the creature that tried to kill her, but.... Loki wasn't exactly her knight in shining armor. Although it seemed like he saved her in this moment, was he going to be mad at her? Would he punish her for leaving the room when he told her not to?

"I'm not going to ask again. Where. Are. You?" He spoke, the sheer authority, outrage, entitlement, and jurisdiction all wrapped in his voice was absolutely frightening.

Her hands clamped tightly over her quivering mouth, as fists pounded on the other side of the door. If she squeezed her eyes shut and whispered a prayer, maybe she would wake up.

"I know you're in there, Summer. Open the door."

Silence.

"Darling, please. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to scare you."
Her head perked up. He was sorry?

"Now, if you don't open this door on the count of three, I will knock it down and you know what happens to you after that..." He didn't dare finish the rest of that sentence. Her eyes widened and she shakily stood to her feet, debating what to do.

"One..."

Would he really not punish her if she opened the door? Can she beg for forgiveness?

"Two..."

Maybe he will go away?

"Three-"

She threw open the door and dropped to the ground. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," she cried out before his feet.

He sighed and crouched down to be on her level. She stayed still, head bowed in submission. She tried not to shiver as he ran his fingers up her back and into her hair. "You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm sorry for not killing the traitor earlier." He sneered, though it wasn't at her.

He saved her, and yet she couldn't stop crying. Her shoulders shook in uncontrollable sobbing. He gathered her in his arms, tucked her head into his chest, and made soft soothing sounds. "I have you now. You're safe."