32 | Potion

40,000 reads? wth thank you 🥺❤️ This might be my 2nd fastest growing book! And this is the book I thought no one would read haha! Thank you so much everyone!!!

Update: 137,000 reads :,)

Warning: mention of suicide

"If we play along, we'll stay safe."

"Summer?"

Her blood ran cold and she quickly dried the tears from her eyes, giving her son a pleading look- a warning.

Then, she turned to face Loki. "Yes, love?"

Loki appeared in the archway moments after. "Ah, there you are, darling. I've been looking for you. Dinner is nearly ready."

"Oh, okay. We'll be down in just a minute."

He hummed at that and sauntered closer, guards suddenly behind him. "I don't think that's necessary," he spoke lowly. "Go on, finish your conversation. Act as if I'm not here."

Landon winced nervously and sent his mom a worried glance. "What do you mean?"

Loki gave a short laugh and gave a slight nod of his head. Landon wouldn't of noticed the subtle signal he gave the guards, but Summer did. She leapt to protect her son, but she was too late. The guards grabbed her and held her back, while Loki approached his son. He grabbed him by the neck and roughly shoved his back against the railing of the balcony, a several story drop below.

"No!" Summer screamed and thrashed in the guards' hold. "Let him go!" She yelled as Landon cried out and pleaded to his dad in fear.

"You want me to let him go?" Loki taunted, cocking his head in question.

"Yes, please!" She pleaded. She should have known to be more careful with her words after so many years.

A cruel grin stretched across his lips. "If you insist."

He fisted the collar of Landon's shirt to hoist him off the ground, forcing him to shuffle backwards until the ground was suddenly out from under him and he was dangling off the balcony. He cried out and latched onto his dad's arms, dangling over the very tall structure. He kicked desperately, searching for leverage, but no avail.

"I'll ask again," Loki released his grip ever so slightly and the boy cried in fright. "Do you still want me to let him go?"

"Mom, help me!" He pleaded with desperate screams, breaking her heart.

She knew she shouldn't have, but she couldn't help but blurt out a desperate, "Don't you dare!" She collapsed to her knees, begging with her arms held out in front of her. The guards let her go, but stayed close.

"Ah, ah, ah," he tsked and jerked the boy, making them both scream in fright. "What did I say about letting the kids' know our little secret?"

Her chest ached as she watched hopelessly, her heart feeling like it was going to pound out of her chest.

"Summer?" He drawled in a sing song voice, waiting for an answer.

"Not to." She cried.

"And?"

"To.... to be obedient."

"Because what will happen if you're not?"

She chewed on her bottom lip and closed her eyes in attempt to hold back her cries as fear took over her body. "Open your eyes and answer me, Summer." He sneered and jerked him around once more.