Chapter Four

Picture of Jay:

Chapter Four

October 2003

   "Jamie, before you leave can you stay behind a second?" I stalled on my way to the door and swore under my breath. I need to speak with Megan alone before we get on the school bus!

   I would have pretended to not have heard her if it was not for Luke shouting, "I'll save you a seat on the bus!"

   I glared at the back of his head before turning to see the teacher. I swear she finds pleasure in torturing me! It is fucking stupid!

   "What?" I snapped as the last few people were trickling through the door, dragging their feet so that they could take a look at what I was going to say to the woman.

   "Please use your manners young man," she chastised as she got up from her desk and made her way around it, a sheet of paper in her hand.

   "Just hurry up so I can get on the bus, please," I spoke sarcastically.

      "Today you have been in a right attitude and I do not appreciate it. You have the potential to go places Jamie, you could even make it to some of the top universities if you concentrate. Hanging around with Jay is a bad influence on you. I know your grandmother and she would not be happy to see your behaviour." She told me.

   I had to resist the urge to laugh at her calling Jay a 'bad influence' I was not as bad as he was but I had known him since I was little, it was not like I suddenly attached myself onto him because he was a 'bad boy'. Jesus, who does this woman think she is? I can hang around with whoever I like!

   "Jay has been my best friend for years Miss, I will not stop being his friend just because you ask me to." I replied. "My grandmother also knows that I hang around with Jay and she happens to like him so you can tell her all you like when you meet up at the pub on a Friday night." I added with a smirk.

   My grandmother never let me go to the pub, I had to babysit Zak and Lexi but she went when it was darts night and apparently more than a few of the teachers from this school go. Davies is one of the regulars.

   "What I do out of school is irrelevant." She snapped her eyes suddenly alight with fury. "I am only looking out for you Jamie. You have the potential. Even Megan is a bad influence. I am going to swap you all around next lesson and I will sit you next to someone who you cannot misbehave with." She announced and my jaw dropped!

   But English was the only subject with Megan! I have to sit next to her! "Miss you can't do that!" I yelled. Worry suddenly kicked in. "Please don't sit me next to smelly Sam!"

   "Well prove it to me that you can behave or I will be forced to." She sighed. "Today was one of the worst lessons I have ever taught. You all seemed to not care at all and I need you to understand that it is important." She tried to reason with me, her eyes were round and bright but all I saw her as was the devil. She was threatening to move me away from Megan and I did not like what she was saying.