Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Present Day

   It had been half an hour since I had pinned Zak up against the wall and since then he has been sulking upstairs on his own. I could not even look at him I was that upset with him. But more crucially, I was angry with myself. This was my entire fault.

   If I had just given them a contact number I could have pulled some strings to get Zak a job. I mean, I had to run from the police there was not a single chance that I could have stayed in Kingston but I did still know people who were scared of me and they would have put Zak on the books straight away for me.

   I kicked the table in frustration. It teetered over so I caught it before it fell. "What the fuck?" Luke yelped as he stood up in shock.

   "Sorry, I'm just pissed off," I grumbled, keeping the smirk off my face from Luke's reaction. He was basically falling asleep as he tried to wrap his mind around the letters in front of him.

   I had brought the rest from behind the door and dumped them on the table and so far Zak was at least ten grand in debt. It was more than a little daunting to see. When you're in debt it only invites bailiffs and the police and the less people snooping around your house the better.

   I was actually surprised that he had not already been caught, he was hardly subtle. Sure he refused to give Tony's name away in the alleyway but he still looked shady as hell and if I was the police I would have dragged his ass straight to the station.

   Luke stretched his limbs, walked over to the fridge and opened the door. He slammed it quickly after. "Damn I'm hungry! Why hasn't he got anything?" He whined as he began to search through the cupboards. Each door was slammed harder than the last. "How can he survive on cuppa soup?"

   "Just nip to the shop," I suggested as I picked up another letter and began to read it. To be honest, it was all the same words just the balance was larger than the last letter.

   "It is just round the corner isn't it?" He wondered as he grabbed is wallet off the table. I shrugged my shoulders. "Hmm, I wonder if Jeff still owns it, haven't seen him in a while..."

   "Jeff? Didn't he die?"

      "Well I haven't heard that!" Luke cried. "God I hope not, he used to give me extra sweets every time I went in for a 50p mix."

   "Well go and check, bring back beer." I told him. "I'll go and check on Zak and ring Lexi while you're gone."

   "If he is only round the corner, I will only be five minutes." Luke explained.

      "Well make it ten." I snapped. "Say hi to Jeff for me."

      "Will do, Budweiser or Stella?" I gave him a deadpanned look; he should know the answer to that question. If Stella was an option, there was no other option. That is the mantra I have always lived by. I mean, my granddad always drank Boddington's but I never got the appeal. Guinness, yeah but you only drank that at the pub as the taste of it in an aluminium can was just not the same.

   Once he was gone, I let out a long breath it felt good to have a few moments to myself. I had always got on with Luke, but I prefer to be on my own sometimes as it helps just being able to gather your thoughts.

   "Jamie?" I groaned and looked towards the source of the voice. He was stood in the doorway to the kitchen looking lost.

   "What?"

      He gulped, "I need to go back to my post. Tony has just text me."

      "Tony? How did he know you were gone?"