Chapter Twenty-Three

The one with the goatee stepped forward cracking his knuckles & an undeserved smirk at his thin lips. My eyes connected half with the knuckleduster glistening under the dark lights and the other on Tony to make sure nothing dirty happens.

What could I use to counter? The chair? That was the obvious choice. Hmm, the glass in my hand? Smash it over his head?

He took the fatal step forward, ramming the glass over his head, he ducked to try and avoid but my aim was never in doubt. A left hook straight to his face, a quick right hook knocked him backwards. Blood streaming from his nose I shoved him over and while down stomped down hard onto his face. His nose cracking under the pressure. Lights out.

I let out an annoyed breath through my nostrils, bending down I grabbed the knuckle duster from him and slid it nicely onto my fingers.

"Next?"

"What is the point you want to prove here Jamie?" Tony asked. A short grunt escaped from the guy below me but there no worry he'd wake up while I was still here.

"The point." I started. "Is that there is incriminating information that I could use in order to put you behind the bars that you are afraid of." I told him in a slow, menacing voice. "I may be young and rusty but I am not stupid."

With that I turned around, kicked the guy from out of behind the door and left the room.

I was never going to go to the police – they had more shit on me (or at least, they wanted me more) than they did Tony fucking Holt but the Maguire Contract kept me in good favour. It had been turning at the back of my mind since I arrived in this God forsaken city but it didn't mean I was going to pull rank.

The Maguire Contract was complicated and when Luke brought it back up, it clicked. It was going to be the last straw. It was good to let him know that I know about it. He needs to stew, make him paranoid – Tony's only weakness is prison, he's been before and they didn't like him when he arrived.

Tony had no family, apart from his nephew and although he liked Mason and kept him around, if I put a bullet between his eyes he wouldn't blink. Kind of like Stanley and Jay in that respect. Tony made sure we knew about his lack of empathy for his family and we all did. Mason was just a pawn.

Now, next on the agenda was Lucy. The bartender gave me a rough look as I barged past him and into the main area. It had only been half an hour but the place was a little more packed. My watch told me it was nearing midnight, possibly the reason.

Scanning the crowd, I couldn't find Lucy (or Lily if she was going by that name now). Glancing at the podiums, I winced when I saw her. I didn't want to make a scene and put her in danger if she wasn't Lucy – hell if she was Lucy, what was I going to do? Tony would smell a rat straight away.

I pushed through the crowd but couldn't get close enough to get a real look. Fucking hell. Maybe Chantelle would know? If it definitely was Lucy, I'd get her out of her discreetly, or wait for her to finish her shift and re-introduce myself to her but it was dangerous doing something now in here without a plan or some sort.

I hope it wasn't Lucy. I'd obviously seen her sister stark naked but I didn't want to see Lucy bare all which is the way things were gonna go if I carried on staring.

If that was Lucy – was it another life I'd ruined? She was in college when I'd left. Can't remember the course exactly but it wasn't hairdressing like Megan and when did she get that tattoo? It was quite a distinct tattoo to have. Why the footsteps? Was she on a journey? To where?