Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Now

   "Luke, listen, I am sorry for earlier." 

      "Don't mention it. What have you been up to today?" He replied as I spoke to him down the phone. I was still at my grandmother's house as I waited for Zak to turn back up. Lexi was still here, she has resorted to playing solitaire on her laptop while I sorted through his mail. It was boring and it was ten o'clock at night but I wasn't leaving until I saw him again.

   "Tony found my number." I smirked. "He said I was cocky and told Zak that I was trying to take over his turf. Zak is angrier at me now than yesterday but I've been sat with Lex for most of the evening." I recited. 

   It was just typical that Tony swapped the story all round and twisted it so that it looked like I was up to no good. Why the hell would I come back here and make myself known again? The police would arrest me before I could even spell the word 'police'. 

   "Knew it wouldn't be long. After I left you, I didn't get another phone call so I assumed he'd spoken to you."

   "Yeah. What have you been up to?" 

       I knew that we'd be fine. Jay was always a sore subject and it is surreal that he died on this day, especially when I can remember every single detail about that day and yet I couldn't remember the actual date. What Jay did was unforgivable though. Luke knew that, I know he did. 

    "I went to see Jay, then I wandered round to Chantelle's work and we went for a pint. I have been looking into Tony though since I got back home. Apparently, Tony paid off some police inspectors a couple of weeks ago, and I am talking big money, to hide a murder. It went wrong and Tony was incriminated with evidence... At the moment, Jamie, he is sweating. He's in deep trouble."

   "Oh, really?" I glanced at Lexi who didn't seem that interested in the conversation. "That'll be good. How did you find that out?"

   "Vince works under him now."

       My eyebrows creased together. Vince? "Who is that?"

      "You don't remember Vince? He worked closely with us on the Maguire Contract. You remember? The bald guy who was always cracking those stupid jokes."

   "I remember the Maguire Contract but I don't recall Vince." I told him. "Hmm.. so he was loyal to us and now he is with Tony?"

        "Well, let us be honest here Jamie, many people went to Tony once we collapsed. They all had criminal records, they weren't going to go out and get a job in the local supermarket, were they? Most jobs required a DBS check nowadays and once that flags up they are fucked."

   I guess that was true. "Fair enough, do you reckon more of them will still be loyal to me or do you think they'll all be on his side now? I'm just thinking, the more help we get the better. Tony can continue with his stupid control of the city but he isn't messing with my brother and sister and something that might help our case is loyalty." I told him. 

   "Yeah, I suppose. I'll ask him and see. A lot of them were kept in low-ranking jobs so some of them could be disgruntled considering what they used to do for you, wouldn't bank on it though. Tony would kill them." 

    "He won't now." I laughed. I couldn't help it. Luke joined me while Lexi gave me an odd look. "Anyway, I will see you later. Is it okay if Lexi kips over?"

   "Sure. See you later." He ended the call and Lexi continued to give me the look.

       "What?"