Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

   I switched the engine off and climbed out of the car, locking it with the auto lock as I walked away. The familiar beeps reassuring me. It isn't like I am in the best area right now.

Despite not being a Friday or Saturday, the music was blaring and there were people outside pouring onto the streets, fags in their gobs and phones to their ears. Girls stood holding their forearms and shivering while men laughed, their arms around their piece for the night.

The bouncers on the door to this particular place widened their eyes as they saw me approach but stood in front of the door regardless, both with their arms crossed. They were bigger than me but they didn't have the skills I did. Anyone can go to the gym and snort steroids like it was going out of fashion but you ain't going to win a fight.

If they landed a hit, I'll admit, it'd probably hurt but I'd be able to get them both on the ground before they can count to ten.

"ID." One of them grunted.

"You are kidding me right?" I replied with a short, humourless laugh. I hadn't been ID'd since I was nineteen years old!

"You look younger than twenty-five." The other replied like he didn't know who I was. I wasn't trying to be cocky but I noticed the way their body language responded once they spotted me. Who are they trying to kid?

I grabbed my driver's license out of my wallet which was in my back pocket. These two goons weren't my problem. The guy inside was and didn't need to make a huge scene right now. I showed them and once they were satisfied, they stood aside.

"Careful, Tony will spit you out for the pigs to eat." The one on the left told me, a smirk dancing at his lips like he had caught me out.

I scoffed in response and turned away. I didn't need to indulge the prick.

I stepped through the doors and the smell of sweat and alcohol hit me like a pan to the face. Scrunching up my face, I scanned the room of anyone I may notice but nobody caught my eye. I can't even remember the last time I was in a nightclub, I'd almost forgotten that distinct smell. A few girls were up on the stages, flaunting all their physical assets to the men below.

I tutted, feeling like an old man and pushed through the crowds. When did I get old? Stepping behind the bar, I ignored the shouts from the bartenders and tapped a few times on the door and then burst through without a response. Knocking was quite the redundant action to be honest.

Tony glanced up quickly and automatically stood to his feet an angry look on his face. "Get out- Oh, it is you. Jamie, didn't expect you." He spoke as he did the two buttons on his silver blazer up, looking a little out of place. Sat in front of him was a girl with white blonde hair that ran straight down her back.

"That was the point."

He tsked, sat back down then glanced back to the girl. "Lily, next time you don't tell me about your boyfriend, I'll give you a black eye to match the one you've already got." He snapped at her. His voice was louder than when he spoke to me and I noticed the way the girl flinched. Prick.

"He wasn't-" She started to protest but he held his hand up and cut her off. Her slender shoulders hunched forward.

"Don't argue. I pay you to attract the men inside, I don't want your boyfriends coming in trying to act all macho. If you want a shag, Robbie here will give you a go." He laughed and the heavy he pointed at smirked and winked at her.