Chapter Five

Picture of Stanley:

Chapter Five

October 2003

   The pain had begun to subside somewhat by the time Jay's uncle Stanley had turned up. I didn't believe that he took that long for him to arrive. For someone who only lived around the corner, they sure took their time. Jay said it was because he was at work but why would he ring him if he was at work?

   It didn't quite add up but to be honest I couldn't care less, this man was the reason why my grandma won't find out about this fight so I am grateful for the guy already.

   "He is here!" Jay announced as he bounced from the peach blinds he had his head stuck through, to the door.

   "Your Uncle Stanley?" Mr Branston asked unconvinced and Jay nodded his head. I was kind of relieved that he had finally showed up as Mr Branston's eyes would just find their way to the black telephone on his desk a few times like he was contemplating ringing my grandmother anyway.

   "Is it your dad's brother?" I queried. I had heard him talk about him a few times but not too much, which was odd considering his sudden ecstatic mood at the thought of him coming. I mean, if he really liked him then how come he did not mention him more?

   "No, he is my mum's older brother." He replied, his eyes not even moving from the door.

      What else was weird was the fact that Jay and Mr Branston were probably close to coming to blows only about half an hour ago as Jay got put in detention for the next week and now they were being the most civil to each other than I had ever seen.

   Mr Branston stood by the window and copied Jay's action of pulling back the blinds to look outside. "Wow. What a nice car." He commented, his eyes still looking outside.

   "What?" I would have got up but even though the pain had started to go, my stomach still felt like a five hundred pound weight had been dropped on it from a considerable height.

   He turned to face Jay, ignoring my question. "Jay, what does your Uncle do for a living?" So, not only does he ignore me but he is also nosey, for a teacher those weren't the best traits to have... I mean, asking what his Uncle did for a living, really.

   "Erm.." I faced Jay who stood on the spot looking uncomfortable. "Erm.."

      I frowned as I watched him. His brown eyes were faced downwards and he was shuffling around on the spot like he did when he was being told off. I know it was nosey but if that was the problem, Jay would have just told him to bugger off wouldn't he? I mean, he just told us that he was coming straight from work so he obviously knew...

   A knock interrupted the awkward little moment and the bitch of a secretary popped her head through the door. "Sir, Jay's Uncle is in reception."