Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

-Now-

   "Megan Louise Kershaw, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?" I asked, a nervous smile on my face, my hand with the sparkling diamond ring shaking. I had not been this nervous in my life.

   Her brown, doe-shaped eyes were wide and the hand I wasn't holding was covering her plum coloured lips. "Marry you?" She whispered, her eyes on mine.

   The time had been ticking for about thirty seconds and she still hadn't given me an answer. Did she not like the ring? I had to endure five hours of Chantelle to find that! What if she thought it was hideous? What if she hated the whole public proposal?

   My gut dropped, she was going to say no wasn't she? Say it was too early. That I wasn't actually the right guy for her. That I had ruined things last time. What had I done? She hated being put on the spot! You are so stupid Jamie!

   Suddenly, her whole features turned murderous, she wrenched her hand out of mine and stood back, her heels clipping against the laminate flooring. I was briefly aware of everyone surrounding me, watching in stunned silence but it was Megan who had my attention.

   "No. I will never marry a man like you!" She sneered, her upper lip in a snarl. "You're a murderer! You killed me!"

   A bang woke me with a start, my neck cracking from moving so fast. My hand went to my mouth and wiped the drool from the side of my mouth. Yuck. Running my fingers through my hair, all I felt was sweat. I felt dirty and disgusting. How long had I been asleep for? My neck was killing me!

   The nightmare left me shaking a little as I waited for the source of the bang to come forward. Nightmares of Megan dying again, her turning me down, her calling me a murderer and saying that I killed her. They happened on a daily basis but the dreams hadn't got any easier.

   My nightmares always picture her just as I remembered her, with her brown hair draping down her back, her beautiful, doe-shaped eyes that sparkled like chocolate diamonds. She was a one-of-a-kind and the day that I ever forgot anything about her – including that laugh that used to get on my wick – was the day that life lost all complete meaning.

   I guess it was a blessing that I could still picture her just as she was. If I thought back far enough, I could even remember what she looked like in high school with her chunky blonde highlights separating her natural brown, the hoop earrings and the rolled up grey skirt.

   "Zak? Jamie? Anyone in?" Lexi stopped short at the entrance way of the kitchen as she saw me. "Oh, good, someone is in."

   I rubbed my hand through my hair again, aware of the smell of sweat and looked at her. "What's up?"

   "You look tired." She stated as she put her over-large cream bag on the counter and walked over to the kettle, filling it with water. "Has he got any coffee?"

   I nodded as I watched her, my eyes droopy from the lack of sleep I'd had. "What time is it?"

     "Seven, I think. I set off from mine during the six o'clock news so it'll be around there." She muttered. "Do you take any sugar or milk?"

      "Two sugars, not so heavy on the milk." I replied as I got up from the table, stretching my legs. I don't even know how long I had been asleep there for but damn, my legs felt all fuzzy and odd.  "What's wrong?"

   Her back stiffened and she didn't turn around to face me. Mumbling something, she went to the sink and washed a teaspoon before going to back to the mugs on the counter. What did she say? "Lexi, what is wrong?" I repeated, my voice harder.