Chapter Two

Picture of Luke:

Chapter Two 

Now 

   My knuckles were white as I gripped the steering wheel. Coming back to this city was something I never thought I would be doing and yet here I am about to cross over the city border and into the place that I commonly refer to as 'my past'.  

   The city of Kingston only brought the worst out of me. It was my past and I would have preferred it if it stayed that way. I grew up just on the outskirts and when I got to college I came into the city on a daily basis. I used to love it here. I knew every single nook and cranny and I made it my business to know every single person who owned a private business. 

   As those private businesses used to be my main source of income. 

      Now I hated the place. I may as well have been slicing my throat open with a butter knife because that was easier than this was. 

   The familiar sign of Kingston, twinned with Strasbourg came into sight as I drove over the hill that led down into the tall, glass buildings that dominated the skyline for miles around.  

   I found a small road leading off of the main one and parked my car. I best tell Luke I really was coming before I step up on his doorstep, knock on his door and suddenly he was not in. I wanted to spend as little time as possible here so waiting for a few hours while he finishes work was not in my plan at all. 

   Scrolling down my contacts list I stopped at Luke but my thumb did hover over Lexi's name for a few seconds before I decided it was a bad idea. It was better to have the element of surprise on this one because if she knew I was in town she would blow my whole cover straight away. 

   He picked up on the first dial. "Jamie?" 

      "Luke, I am coming. I will be at yours within the next half an hour or so."  

      "Shit!" He cursed. "Make sure nobody is following you."  

      I rolled my eyes. Like anyone was still looking out for me now. It had been three years, I am sure they have better things to do. "Obviously," I reassured him, although I had a few times looked in my wing mirror just to double check. It seems that once paranoia kicks in, it never truly goes away no matter how far from the problem you are. "Anyway, are you in?" 

   "Yeah, it is my day off today. Are you sure you want to do this?"  

   I sighed, no I was not sure but I had to be because they were my family and they meant more to me than anything. They are all I have got so, despite not wanting to be here at all I still did. "Yes, see you later." I put the phone down and put the car back into drive, making the short journey into the city that held my worst nightmares.