Chapter Twenty-Eight

Then

"Why does he get away with more than I do?" I stopped walking at the sound of Jay's voice in the living room. My eyebrows furrowed, what is he talking about?

I hovered around the door. Who was he with? The white, wooden door was shut closed but the house wasn't built like they used to be. The walls were paper thin and if it was a quiet day, you could hear conversations on the second floor just as if they were in front of you. At least, you could in this part of the house. Stanley's office was soundproof and so was the gym.

"He doesn't. When did he last get away with anything? Stanley is always breathing down his neck." The second voice was Luke's. I wanted to step inside and see what was wrong but something told me it was myself that they were discussing.

I shouldn't be prying but what was Jay's problem?

"Stanley kisses his ass." Jay spat. "He lets him have all of the good jobs, gives him more freedom while we're stuck here babysitting."

Babysitting? What the? How do I get all of the 'good jobs'? I got the shit kicked out of me once a week in the rings, yes I enjoyed the thrill of the fight but it still fucking hurt. And I had no choice. I don't see Jay taking a punch! If he did, his mum would probably throw a shit fit! He was protected, he wasn't allowed to die, they didn't give a shit about me.

Not only that but I had to balance all of it with Megan and my family. I barely had a chance to myself with it all!

I stayed outside of the room a little longer but the conversation turned to whispers and even with the thin walls I couldn't hear a word, suspiciously.

Wandering into the kitchen, I grabbed a can of coke from the fridge and sat down at the table. There wasn't anyone else in the house as far as I could tell but the babysitting comment had me intrigued. What did Jay mean by that? There's no toddlers wandering around here... besides, who is stupid enough to have a child in this environment with the swearing, drugs and hookers hanging around?

There is a reason Megan doesn't know about this side of me... besides the fact that I'd be dumped faster than I could spell it. She was furious when she found out and that was before I got really deep with all this. There wasn't a chance Stanley would let me leave – we'd had that conversation already.

At the time, I was a little naïve and was all gung ho for this. Honestly, I still am. Just wish Megan could know about it, it's the only downfall to all of this really. I love the lifestyle, I am earning loads of money, it lets me get my pent up anger out – and I have a lot – I am with my best friends, people who I know can protect me and people are starting to become scared of me. I have a bit of power and I enjoy it.

I heard shuffling coming from behind the door so I jumped up and out of my seat and hid around the corner so they couldn't see me.

There was a major deal going down in Kingston and they were all out there as back up in case something went wrong. I'd never heard of anything going wrong so far but Stanley had said that you should always be prepared for the worst because all it took was one rookie police officer or someone with a sudden conscience to mess it all up.

It was still odd to see this place as dead as it was. Someone is always hanging out here, it is a safe house and Stanley's business is twenty-four hours and someone has to run it. What was eerie was even Rhys with his snake-like eyes wasn't about. Waiting for an excuse to go running back to Stanley with some bullshit.

Honestly, I was kind of hurt that he didn't ask me to go himself, it isn't the first time I'd been up front in the organisation and this wasn't anything different. He said I wasn't ready which was a little insulting but I let it hang off me and decided to go to the gym instead as I could only figure that it was because I wasn't physically big enough, even though I hadn't actually lost a fight in the ring yet.