Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

-Now-

   Those photo's of Megan were swirling around my mind as I sat on the cold, stone steps outside of my old house. Predictably, Lexi nor Zak were here but I was thankful for the peace.

   The way she was back then - so happy and carefree. She was one of the funniest people I had ever met, even when we weren't dating, not that I can remember that far back without having to have a good think. We got together originally when we were fourteen years old and basically stayed like that until she died.

   Whenever I used to come home after a terrible night, she would always be there with a huge smile on her face, usually with a glass of wine in hand and some chick-flick on in the background. She was a hairdresser and when I started to earn proper money, I helped her buy into this local business. 

   That hairdressers was her life. She loved working there and she had such a good repertoire with the customers that before long the waiting list was as long as my arm. She had talent for the job and the attitude. It was a good thing because we both mucked around in school too much to do much else. 

   "James?" My head popped up towards the womanly voice to see a face I had not seen in a long time. There was only one woman apart from my Grandparents that called me that.

      "Mrs. Green!" I called back. Wow, I thought she kicked the bucket years ago.

      The old woman hobbled across the street towards me so I stood up so I could meet her on the pavement. Goodness, I wonder what she thinks about how the house and garden have gone? I bet she's complained to Neighbourhood Watch. 

   I leant in and gave her a hug, "How have you been?" I questioned. She and my grandma were always falling out over something, whether it was who had the best garden or whose grandchildren were the best dressed. It was annoying most days but when she made her babysit for us, oh God, I hated it. She used to make us go bed at seven o'clock and her dog that used to bite me if I went near it had to sleep at the bottom of my feet. 

   I am not going to lie, when that dog died, as a child, I had never been happier.

      She whacked the back of my leg with her wooden walking stick. "You!" She cried. "Why did you never come over and say hello?" 

   My eyes widened as I slyly stepped out of her hitting range. For an old lass, she sure had a good hit on her! "Oh I am sorry, I am just here to see Zak and Lexi briefly then I am going back to where I live now." 

   "It is still not nice. I helped raise you, lad." She replied, a stern look on her wrinkled face. How old was she now? She had to be in her late seventies. 

   "I know, I am sorry Mrs. Green. I am only here for a couple of days to help sort out a few things." 

      Her eyes landed on the house and garden behind me. "Is that on your list? Your grandmother would be turning in her grave." Well, it is a good thing she was cremated then, wasn't it? I was going to say it but I would probably get hit again.

   "Not this time. I have told Zak to clean it up though. I am sorry it got this way." I actually meant that. 

      "Yes well, you should be looking after them." She tutted. "They have some dangerous people in that house, I am scared for my life when it gets loud at night. If I had not known you my whole life, I would have called the police by now." 

   "Yes well-"

      "-I guess it also helps that Zachary comes across once a week and fetches my shopping and has a cup of tea with me. More I can say than my own grandchildren."